Orange Glazed Carrots are sweet, sticky delicious and a must have side dish recipe, which goes well with any main dish. Quick and easy recipe and always a winner on any occasion.
Carrots are one of our favorite side dishes. I am happy to say that my kids have loved carrots since they were little and still do.
These Orange juice glazed Carrots are one of the most popular recipes I have for carrots. Sweet, sticky and the Thyme adds a delicious and unique taste to the dish.
I have not always been a fan of Thyme. Not quite sure why not.
But I think I ordered a toasted Chicken Mayo from a take-out restaurant many years ago and the Chicken was mixed with Thyme. I really did not like the taste.
So, then for a long time I just did not use Thyme in anything. What a mistake !
Thyme adds so much to the right dish, especially in soups, chowder and many side dishes.
The herb has a very light minty flavor, which of course goes so well with Lamb roasts or Lamb chops.
We do have the latter quite frequently, but Lamb roasts are so expensive these days ! Especially a good Leg-of-Lamb cut.
In our house a typical home cooked meal would normally include a meat (or seafood / poultry), a starch (now and then rice AND a baked potato!), and two vegetable sides.
Sweet and Savory side dishes that goes well with sweet Carrots:
The vegetable sides are usually one sweet and one savory. I like to pair up these Carrots with my Bacon Peas, which is not only a delicious combination, but looks so colorful on a plate as well.
Another great savory side dish is Garlicky Green Beans with Feta – so quick to make too !
Something I do not make often, is savory Carrots. Unless it is in a stew or some or other one pot meaty dish. But very rarely as a side dish.
With Easter coming up I know many people are looking for new dishes to serve. Although I do know people that never change their main meal during Easter, year after year.
Well, whatever you are happy with and works for your family.
But if you have never tried Orange Glazed Carrots, I hope you will as it is most delicious, quick, easy and most kids do prefer a sweet vegetable to a savory vegetable.
More Side Dish recipes you might like:
- Creamy Dill Mushrooms
- Honey Balsamic Brussels Sprouts
- Garlic and Herb Mushrooms
- Cheesy Onion Potatoes
- Spanish-Style Potatoes
Orange Glazed Carrots
- 450 grams Baby Carrots, peeled ( 1 pound )
- 1/3 cup Orange Juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 3 tablespoons Brown Sugar, ( I like to use a soft brown sugar like MUSCOVADO )
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Thyme, chopped
- Extra Thyme Sprigs, to garnish (optional)
- Boil the Baby Carrots in lightly salted water until tender - about 15 minutes - drain and return Carrots to the saucepan
- Pour over the Orange Juice and add the Butter, Brown Sugar and Salt - cook uncovered for another 5 - 8 minutes uncovered - stir regularly
- Stir in the chopped Thyme a minute before removing from the stove
- Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with sprigs of Thyme (if using)
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 132Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 15mgSodium 155mgCarbohydrates 20gFiber 3gSugar 15gProtein 1g
Nutrition value is not always accurate