Quick Homemade Balsamic Caramelised Onions is perfect to serve with steaks, sandwiches, hot dogs, burgers. Also delicious on the side with a hearty breakfast !
You can whip up a batch of these Onions in minutes and serve it with so many dishes. I actually eat leftovers as is !
One of our favorite uses for the Onions is to add it to our very South-African Boerewors rolls. Also known as Boeries.
However, the Caramelised Onions can also be used with:
- Hot Dogs
- Burger patties – either under or topped (I like to add one now and then to our weekend breakfasts/brunches)
- As a side to a hearty breakfast
Above : Added to a Boerewors roll – absolutely delicious !
You can make larger batches and keep in the refrigerator but it is so quick to make, I never bother with big batches and make as we use.
The recipe can also easily be doubled, tripled or even more. My recipe below yields about a cup full.
The Caramelised Onions are equally delicious served hot or cold – sticky delicious both ways ! I do prefer hot though.
You might also like these quick and easy recipes:
- Best Marinade In Existence
- Tex-Mex Burgers
- Quick and Easy Nachos
- Drunken Chicken Stir-Fry
- Shrimp Salad with Spicy Watermelon Salsa
Balsamic Caramelised Onions
- 2 large Onions, sliced – rings or half rings
- 3 TB Unsalted Butter
- 2 TB Brown Sugar
- 1/3 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
- Saute the Onion in the Butter until soft and just changing color over medium heat
- Add the Brown Sugar, Balsamic Vinegar and season to taste with Salt and Black Pepper – simmer for approximately 5 minutes, stirring regularly
Serving Size1 Cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 582Total Fat 35gSaturated Fat 22gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 92mgCarbohydrates 63gFiber 4gSugar 46gProtein 5g
Nutrition value is not always accurate