A Rum based marinade turns this Drunken Chicken Stir-Fry into a tender, juicy dish, best served over pasta. This is the perfect quick and easy dinner recipe !
As I have mentioned numerous times before, we love stir-fries ! This Drunken Chicken Stir-Fry is one of our favorites and is perfect to make if you prefer a lighter (not too vegetable loaded) stir-fry.
Stir-Fries are just so quick and easy to make and always perfect for a busy week night dinner.
By using ingredients your family loves, you can also be sure they will enjoy whichever stir-fry you decide to make. Fortunately my family loves all kinds/versions of stir-fries.
However, we do have a couple of favorites (see my links further down) which we make on a regular basis.
What is a Stir-Fry ?
- A Stir-Fry is a dish which is cooked quickly and over high heat by stirring the ingredients rapidly. This can be meat, poultry, seafood or only vegetables, but usually a mixture of meat and vegetables
- Stir-Fries are also best served as soon as it has been cooked, therefore make the stir-fry right before serving time. Marinating can also be done way in advance and you do not have to stick to the exact times given, unless the recipe states this
- Ingredients, meats etc and vegetables are cut or sliced into smallish chunks or strips, which makes the cooking process very quick
- Sauces are (usually) added last and only requires a couple of minutes of simmering mainly to flavor the dish
What IS Drunken Chicken ?
For starters it will not make you drunk ! It simply means that the food (in this recipe, the Chicken) has been prepared by using an alcoholic beverage.
There are also countless varieties of making, not only Drunken Chicken, but using other meats and alcoholic beverages as well.
Years ago the Beer can Chicken was a huge thing here in South-Africa, but has since seemed to have disappeared from (especially) barbecue menus.
I prefer to use Malibu Rum in this recipe as it plays so well together with the Coconut Cream. Besides I am a huge fan of Malibu and everything Coconut !
Although the marinating time is only 30 minutes, you can leave this Chicken for much longer. Which makes it great as a partially make-ahead dish.
Once the marinating is done, you need only a few minutes to cook and finish the Drunken Chicken Stir-Fry !
More Stir-Fry recipes you might like:
- Sweet and Sour Chicken Stir-Fry
- Teriyaki Chicken Stir-Fry
- Sweet and Sour Meatball Stir-Fry (Saucy!)
- Thai Chicken Stir-Fry
- Teriyaki Beef and Greens Stir-Fry
Connect with us :
Drunken Chicken Stir-Fry
- 675 g Chicken Fillets, cut into strips ( 1 1/2 pounds )
- 1/4 cup Malibu Rum, or any light Rum
- 1/4 t Ground Nutmeg
- 1 TB Soy Sauce
- 1 TB Lime Juice
- 1 TB Soft Brown Sugar
- 1/2 t Crushed Dried Chilies (add more if you prefer)
- 1/4 t Ground Ginger
- 2 TB Vegetable Oil
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, thinly sliced
- 250 g Mushrooms, sliced ( 8 oz )
- 1 cup Coconut Cream
- 1/4 t Black Pepper
- Salt, to taste (only if necessary)
- Combine the Rum, Nutmeg, Soy Sauce, Lime Juice, Sugar, Dried Chilies and Ginger in a small bowl
- Place the Chicken strips in a marinating bowl and pour over the marinade - marinate the Chicken for at least 30 minutes, turning over after 15 minutes
- Heat the Oil in a wok or large skillet - add the Chicken (retain leftover marinade) and stir-fry over medium to high heat until done - remove from wok/skillet and keep aside
- Using the same wok/pan (add more Oil if necessary) and stir-fry the Green Bell Pepper strips together with the Mushrooms until just tender and the Mushrooms a light golden color
- Return the cooked Chicken to the Pepper and Mushrooms in the wok/skillet
- Mix together the retained marinade and the Coconut Cream - pour over the Chicken mixture and simmer 5 - 10 minutes until the sauce has reduced a bit and has thickened slightly
- Serve over pasta of your choice (or rice)
Amount Per Serving Calories 438.9 Total Fat 25.2g Saturated Fat 18.3g Unsaturated Fat 1.6g Carbohydrates 18.7g Fiber 3g Sugar 10.4g Protein 37g
Linked up at: WEEKEND POTLUCK – Sweet Little Bluebird