Shrimp Salad with Spicy Watermelon Salsa is so refreshing, healthy and perfect for lunch or to serve as a light dinner
Shrimp and Watermelon are two of my favorite foods and once combined the flavors compliment each other so well.
This Shrimp Salad with Spicy Watermelon Salsa just screams Summer !
Normally we are not much of a too spicy loving family, but the spiciness in this salad recipe is just right for us. You can always increase the amount of Chilies in the recipe.
The Garlic and Ginger add a lot of bite to the salad as well. Not heat spicy, but a delicious flavor combo, especially with Shrimp.
I use minced Garlic (you can actually see the Garlic on the Shrimp), instead of my usual crushed Garlic which I so love to cook with.
No particular reason why I choose minced, only my personal preference when I make salads with Garlic as an ingredient.
Do you have to use Herb Greens ?
No, you do not. Just another personal preference as I think Herb Greens add much more taste to a salad than ordinary lettuce leaves or Spinach leaves on it’s own.
The recipe is also very easy to double or even triple and would take only a couple of minutes longer. I would however cook the Shrimp in batches unless you have a very large wok or similar skillet / pan.
You can also only make the Spicy Watermelon Salsa and serve on the side (or on top) of most grilled fish or any meat you think the Salsa will go well with.
The Salsa on it’s own also makes a lovely and delicious appetizer ! ( do add some salad greens when serving as an appetizer though! ).
More Salad recipes suitable for lunch or as a light dinner:
Shrimp Salad With Spicy Watermelon Salsa
- 1/3 cup Lime Juice
- 1 TB Olive Oil
- 2 t Brown Sugar
- 2 t Fish Sauce
- 1 Red Chili, finely chopped
- 4 Spring Onions, finely sliced
- 1/4 cup Cilantro, finely chopped
- 3 TB Mint Leaves, finely chopped
- 2 cups Watermelon, diced
- 1/2 cup Cucumber, finely diced
- 1 TB Olive Oil
- 2 t Fresh Garlic, minced
- 2 t Fresh Ginger, finely grated
- 1 TB Lime Juice
- 900 g Shrimp, peeled, deveined ( 2 pounds )
- 4 Handfuls Herb Greens
- Combine the Salsa ingredients in a medium mixing bow, stir through and keep chilled until needed
- In a medium skillet, heat the Olive Oil - saute the Garlic and Ginger 1 minute - add the Shrimp and Lime Juice - cook until pink (about 3 - 5 minutes)
- Remove from heat and let stand to cool slightly
- Arrange the Herb Greens on a large serving platter - Spoon over the Watermelon Salsa and give it a gentle stir - top with the cooked Shrimp
Amount Per Serving Calories 341.8Total Fat 11.2gSaturated Fat 1.8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9.4gCholesterol 342mgSodium 520.5mgCarbohydrates 12.4gFiber 1.8gSugar 6.4gProtein 47.3g
Serve immediately with wholewheat or seeded bread