Use your leftover Steak in this rich, hearty chunky Steak and Vegetable Soup with Dumplings ! Always a winner on a cold day and quick to make too.
There are so many different things one can serve with soup. However, Dumplings are an absolute delight served with soup !
I always make this chunky Steak and Vegetable soup with Dumplings, as it just goes so well with this particular soup dish.
It takes a little longer but it is oh, so worth it ! And best of all, the Dumplings cook on top of the Soup for the last part of the overall cooking required, which gives you the most delicious Dumplings ever.
If you have any leftover Steak from last night, use that ! Another great idea to use up leftover food and have a delicious, warming soup.
I like to scoop a piece of Dumpling onto my spoon together with a bit of soup and chew away.
But I have also seen the kids leaving the Dumplings till last. Because as they say .. that is the best part and the longer it lingers in your soup, the tastier and more flavorful it becomes.
When I say, chew, I mean it is not the feather light kind of Dumpling. Rather the chewier kind which I prefer in savory dishes. The feather light kind .. yep, I prefer them served as a dessert.
Pressed for time ? Yes, you can leave out the Dumplings, but let me warn you – you will. be. missing. out. big. time 😉
More Soup recipes you might like:
- Mexican Bean and Tomato Soup
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- Mozzarella Stuffed Meatball Soup
- Potato Bacon and Leek Soup
- Quick Chicken Orzo Soup
Connect with us :
Chunky Steak and Vegetable Soup with Dumplings
- 2 TB Vegetable Oil
- 700 gram Lean Steak, cubed ( 1 1/2 pound)
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 4 Celery Stalks, chopped
- 3 Carrots, peeled and cut into rings
- 4 Potatoes, peeled and cubed bite sized
- 1 cup Frozen Peas
- 2 t Ground Cumin
- 2 t Oregano
- 1 TB Fresh Oregano, chopped
- 1 TB Fresh Cilantro, chopped
- 6 cups Boiling Water, divided
- 4 TB White Onion Soup Powder
- 1 cup Beef Stock
- Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
- 2 1/2 cups Flour
- 1 t Baking Soda
- 1 t Salt
- 1/4 cup Water
- 3/4 cup Buttermilk
- SOUP: Heat the Oil in a large saucepan – brown the Steak
- Add the Onion, Celery, Carrots, Potatoes, Peas, Cumin, Oregano, Fresh Herbs and 4 cups of Boiling Water – stir to mix
- Dissolve the White Onion Soup in the remaining 2 cups Boiling Water – add together with the Beef Stock, to the saucepan and stir again – cover and simmer until the Potatoes and Carrots are tender – season to taste with Salt and Black Pepper
- DUMPLINGS: Sift together the Flour, Baking Soda and Salt – mix the Water and Buttermilk – add to the Flour mixture and mix until a dough forms (add more Flour if necessary)
- Form small golf ball sized dough balls and place on top of the soup – cover and simmer another 20 minutes or until the dumplings are cooked through - serve hot
Amount Per Serving Calories 639Total Fat 28gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 15gCholesterol 116mgSodium 1106mgCarbohydrates 55gFiber 5gSugar 6gProtein 41g
Nutrition value is not always accurate