Potato Bacon and Leek Soup is tasty, comforting, filling and the added Bacon makes an old favorite just better and more nourishing !
This is my husband’s favorite soup, although I used to make it without the bacon.
Since we added bacon, the Potato Bacon and Leek Soup is not only his favorite but a huge hit with my whole family.
The soup screams comfort food and again, as I like my recipes, quick and easy too.
We have kind of a strange weather pattern (or no pattern really!) going on in Gauteng at the moment. After a couple of weeks of an extreme heatwave, the cold from the Cape area’s snow has hit us now.
Yeah, we only get the cold and never the good stuff, like snow in Gauteng ! I know lots of you may even detest snow, but it really is a rarity in our area.
Since we never know how the day will end, it could be hot as heck, or we might sit covered with blankets watching a movie or two. That is when I like to grab a quick and easy recipe like this Potato Bacon and Leek Soup.
The soup can be made at last minutes’ notice and you should already have all the ingredients on hand. A quick jump out from under the blanket and you can get back to being warm and comfy.
AND have one delicious mug or bowl of soup in hand and finish your watching your movie … or getting the kids ready for bed.
Tasty, comforting, filling and Bacon ! Yep, that’s comfort food everyone will enjoy.
More Soup recipes you might like:
- Mexican Bean and Tomato Soup
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- Biltong Soup (Beef Jerky)
- Quick Chicken Orzo Soup
- Split Pea and Ground Beef Soup (Slow-Cooker)
Potato Bacon and Leek Soup
- 3 TB Butter
- 3 Leeks, sliced
- 250 g Bacon, finely chopped ( 8 oz )
- 2 t Fresh Garlic, crushed
- 4 Large Potatoes, peeled and cubed into small pieces
- 4 cups Chicken Stock
- 1/2 cup Fresh Cream, (double cream)
- Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
- Bacon, crispy (extra topping, optional)
- Melt the Butter in a large saucepan with a lid – add the Leeks, Bacon and Garlic – stir-fry for a minute or two – lower heat to medium, cover and cook 12 – 15 minutes until soft, stirring occasionally.
- Add the Potatoes and Chicken Stock, cover, bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer until Potatoes are soft – remove from heat and cool – once cooled, place in a blender, blitz until creamy and return to saucepan.
- Bring back to boiling point, remove from stove and stir in the Cream – season to taste.
Amount Per Serving Calories 452.4Total Fat 18.8gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8.8gCholesterol 71.6mgSodium 1362.9mgCarbohydrates 52.1gFiber 6.7gSugar 6.9gProtein 19.5g
Serve with extra crispy Bacon (optional) and a crusty dinner roll or a grilled cheese sandwich on the side.