Cheesy Hashbrown Ham Casserole is ideal for breakfast, lunch or even dinner (and you can substitute the meat with chicken etc !) – Most versatile recipe !
One of the biggest bonuses of a recipe is versatility. Cheesy Hashbrown Ham Casserole can be served for breakfast, brunch, lunch or even dinner.
The ham could be replaced with chicken, ground beef or just about any other kind of meat. I have made the casserole with chicken and ground beef, but our favorite meat addition is ham.
You can use leftover ham, thickly sliced ham from the deli or as I sometimes do – canned ham !
Yes, I said canned ham, but then again I only buy one brand of canned meats, which have been around longer than I have and is a brand I grew up with. Therefore, it is really your own choice which ham to use.
I know there are frozen grated potatoes available and that will be fine to use. But I never buy the frozen types as we only get it from a factory store, which is not that close to us.
And grating a few potatoes are really not that difficult or even time consuming.
Steps 2 and 3 can be done ahead of time if you want to serve the casserole for breakfast.
Do the frying the night before, store in a sealed container and the next morning all that’s needed is some whisking, mixing and the casserole is ready to go into the oven.
More Casserole recipes you might like:
- Amish Chicken Casserole
- Quick Pasta Casserole
- Creamy Tuna Corn Casserole
- Shrimp and Mushroom Casserole
- Creamy Ham Casserole
Cheesy Hashbrown Ham Casserole
- 3 cups Potatoes, grated and moisture squeezed out
- 2 TB Vegetable Oil, divided
- 1 cup Ham, cooked and cubed
- 1 Onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 Extra-Large Eggs
- 1 cup Fresh Cream, (double cream/whipping cream)
- Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 2 Spring Onions, chopped
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 deg C (400 deg F) – spray a large 20 x 30cm ( 8 x 12 inch ) oven dish with cooking oil
- Heat 1 tablespoon Oil in a large skillet – fry the grated Potatoes in batches, 3 minutes per batch – drain on paper towels and keep aside
- Using a separate skillet, heat the remaining Oil and fry the Ham until starting to brown – add the Onion and stir-fry another 5 minutes until Onions are golden – remove from heat and cool slightly
- n a large mixing bowl, beat together the Eggs and Cream, season with Salt and Pepper – add 3/4 of the Cheddar and Flour – stirring well
- Add the Potatoes and Ham/Onions (to the Egg mixture) – stir and transfer to the prepared oven dish – sprinkle over the remaining Cheese – bake uncovered for 40 – 45 minutes or until cooked through
Serving Size6 People
Amount Per Serving Calories 411Total Fat 28gSaturated Fat 14gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 140mgSodium 482mgCarbohydrates 26gFiber 2gSugar 3gProtein 15g
Nutrition value is not always accurate
Remove from the oven – sprinkle with Spring Onions and serve.