The creamiest, most delicious spin on the popular “Mac and Cheese” around ! Creamy Ham Casserole – using everyday ingredients and perfect for a quick week night dinner
Next time you are looking for a different kind of Mac and Cheese recipe, do try this Creamy Ham Casserole ! It is a scrumptious dish and my only regret is waiting this long before I tried the recipe which I have pinned months ago already.
I adapted the recipe quite a bit, as I wanted to use ingredients which I had on hand and also had some leftovers of, but taste wise it should not have that a big impact on the original dish.
The main changes I made was to substitute a can of **Mushroom Soup with a packet, made with Water (as below) – I had both but the canned seemed a little too rich with the Sour Cream. You can of course use whichever you prefer, or have on hand.
The other change I made was to use a trio of chopped Bell Peppers which I have lots of small frozen bags of and am always looking for recipes in which I can use them. Only one type/color will do as well.. it would not be as colorful though, but that is not really the point, is it ?
- 250 g Macaroni ( 8 oz )
- 1 TB Vegetable Oil
- 2 cups Cooked Ham cubed
- 1 cup Mixed Bell Peppers (Red/Green/Yellow), chopped
- 1/2 cup Onion chopped
- 1 packet Cream Of Mushroom Soup Powder See **Note in post above
- 3/4 of the Water needed as per the Soup packet
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup Cheddar Cheese grated
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 deg C (350 deg F) – spray a medium casserole dish, with a lid, with cooking oil
- Cook the Macaroni as per the instructions on the packet, drain and set aside
- Meanwhile. heat the Oil over high heat – stir-fry the Ham, Peppers and Onion until the Onion is golden – remove from heat and set aside
Prepare the Soup as per the packets instructions but only use 3/4 of the Water required – takes about 5 – 8 minutes. (if using canned – leave out this step)
- Stir the Soup into the Ham mixture – add the Sour Cream and stir well to combine
- Add the creamy mixture to the cooked Macaroni – mix gently and transfer to the prepared dish – cover and bake 25 minutes
- Remove from the oven – sprinkle over the Cheese and return, uncovered to the oven for a further 5 minutes or until the Cheese has melted
Recipe adapted by me from MR.FOOD
Let stand 10 minutes before serving. A crunchy side salad is all that is needed with this dish.