Biltong Soup is a creamy, rich and hearty soup made using traditional South-African Biltong which is similar (but not 100% same) as “Beef Jerky”. Serve as an appetizer or for dinner with fresh bread.
Biltong is thee savory snack in South-Africa !
When I found a recipe for Biltong Soup on the DailyFix site recently, I knew I had to try it immediately. One can never go wrong with Biltong in South-Africa.
I would never have thought of making soup with Biltong ! And believe me, my whole family loved the recipe. We have had it countless times already and still crave for more.
Rich, creamy and so comforting ! Both the Cheeses also adds a lot of punch to this recipe for Biltong Soup. You can play around with the quantities.
Like Blue Cheese more ? Well then, add more and maybe a little less of the Cheddar.
I am not sure whether the American, Beef Jerky, would work the same way. Or even if it can be grated finely.
But I did read up on Biltong and Beef Jerky, and found that there are in fact places where one can buy South-African Biltong in the US.
Australia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom seem to have lots of places where you can buy traditional Biltong.
I do hope, wherever you are, that you can get hold of some Biltong ! And try this recipe as it is most definitely the most delicious Soup we have ever had.
If you would like to read up about the difference between Biltong and Beef Jerky, you can find more information at Bull & Cleaver.
Biltong Soup (Beef Jerky)
- 100 g Unsalted Butter ( 3.5 oz )
- 1 t Fresh Garlic crushed
- 3 TB Flour
- 1/2 t Nutmeg
- 1/2 t Ground Coriander
- 1/2 t Black Pepper freshly milled
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- 3 cups Milk ( increase Milk for a thinner soup )
- 1/2 cup Fresh Cream ( double cream )
- 1/3 cup Blue Cheese crumbled
- 1/2 cup Cheddar Cheese finely grated
- 100 g Biltong (Beef Jerky 3.5 oz) - finely grated or the powdered kind for sandwiches
- 2 t Sherry
- Thin Biltong Slices to garnish (optional)
Melt the Butter over medium heat in a medium saucepan
- Saute the Garlic in the Butter for 1 minute – sprinkle over the Flour, Nutmeg, Coriander and Black Pepper – stir to form a paste
- Add the Stock – stirring continuously to prevent lumps – add the Milk and Fresh Cream, bring to the boil and turn the heat to low
Stir in the Blue Cheese and the Cheddar – stir until melted – remove from heat
Add the Biltong and stir - just before serving, stir in the Sherry
Garnish with Biltong Slices and serve
The Soup will thicken on standing
Scoop into serving bowl, garnish with thin Biltong slices and serve immediately with freshly baked, thick slices of bread. The soup will thicken on standing.
How about a traditional South-African sweet treat ?