Corn and Cheese Side Dish is a Sunday supper favorite side dish – mousse textured and very cheesy ! Quick enough to make as a week night side dish too.
This Corn and Cheese side dish is extremely popular and everyone always wants second helpings.
The cheese blends in amazingly with the rest of the ingredients. Most people would not even realize that cheese is really the main ingredient here.
But once a bite is taken, a heavenly taste of cheese bursts in your mouth with a hint of the corn.
This is another one of those dishes which puffs up so nicely and as soon as it is removed from the oven it deflates. Not that it does anything to the flavor though!
Fluffy, soft and delicious ! The texture is something between a souffle and a mousse.
However if you leave the dish standing too long after baking, it will firm a bit, which is also very tasty, but I like the just out of the oven version better.
The Corn and Cheese side dish is the perfect accompaniment to any Sunday roast.
I normally stick it into the oven, with the roast, about 50 minutes or so before my roasts’ baking time is over.
That way both dishes, the roast and the side dish, can stand just long enough to settle and be served at the same time.
***Note: be sure to use the creamed style corn in the can as you need the moisture as well***
More Side Dish recipes you might like:
- Bacon Peas
- Cheesy Onion Potatoes
- Best Sweet Potatoes Ever
- Orange Juice Glazed Carrots
- Perfect Baked AirFryer Baked Potatoes
Corn And Cheese Side Dish
- 1 cup Milk
- 3 TB Unsalted Butter
- 1 can (410g) Creamed Style Corn
- 1 1/2 cups Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 cups Fresh White Bread Crumbs
- 1/2 t Salt
- 1/8 t Cayenne Pepper
- 3 Extra-Large Eggs, separated
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 deg C (350 deg F) – Spray a 20 x 20cm (8 x 8 inch) oven dish with cooking oil
- Heat the Milk and Butter in a small saucepan until it reaches boiling point – remove from heat – add the Corn, Cheddar, Bread Crumbs, Salt, Cayenne Pepper and the Egg Yolks – stir and mix well
- Beat the Egg Whites until stiff – gently fold into the Corn mixture – transfer to the prepared oven dish
- Bake 45 minutes until puffed and golden brown
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 345 Total Fat 20g Saturated Fat 11g Unsaturated Fat 8g Carbohydrates 26g Fiber 2g Sugar 3g Protein 15g
Remove from the oven – let stand for 5 minutes and serve!