Chicken-A-La-King (Low-Fat) is so tasty, no one will know this is a healthy, low fat version of this very popular dish.
This is my favorite go-to recipe for Chicken A La King which is much lower in fat as most other similar recipes.
Quick to make, and I usually have all the ingredients on hand, therefore when I need something tasty on the table at the last minute, this is perfect.
The diet I am on, is not really a specific diet. I do a lot of research on the internet regarding health foods which I am allowed to eat.
Low in fat, and specifically foods which will not cause a sudden attack of Pancreatitis, which I promise you, is very painful.
But, low in fat, does not necessarily mean I can eat it, vegetables like cabbage, too much onion, oranges, corn and white flours are just some of the food which is a no-no.
In the same articles, they also mention that it is only a guide and every person has to figure out exactly which foods to avoid. And different foods that could be on the bad list, might actually work for you.
Right, I did not mean to give a lesson here. Only trying to explain why a certain recipe might be healthy for me, but it might not work for you.
This was also the very first recipe I tried from the recipe book Gesonde Gesinskos. As I have already mentioned – it is a family favorite by now. I made small adaptions to the original.
More Low-Fat recipes you might like:
- Dump and Bake Beef Casserole (Low-Fat)
- Healthy Comfort Food (Low-Fat) – Round Up of recipes
- One-Pot Beef and Vegetables (Low-Fat)
- Healthy Low-Fat Recipes – Round up of recipes
- Lemon Chicken Schnitzel with Low-Fat Mushroom Sauce
- 4 large Chicken Fillets
- 2 cups Water
- 2 cubes Low-Salt Chicken Stock
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1/2 Green Bell Pepper, chopped
- 250 g Mushrooms, sliced ( 8 oz )
- 1 cup Frozen Peas
- 1 packet White Onion Soup Powder
- 1 cup Fat-Free Milk
- 1/2 t Paprika
- Cook the Chicken in the Water and Stock cubes until fully cooked – remove the Chicken and cut into bite size pieces – retain 2/3 cup of the Chicken Stock
- Fry the Onion, Peppers and Mushrooms in a non-stick pan until soft – add the Chicken, the retained Stock and the Peas – cover and simmer 5 minutes
- Mix the Soup Powder, Milk and Paprika – add to the Chicken – cover and simmer over low heat for another 10 – 15 minutes
Amount Per Serving Calories 285Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 88mgSodium 629mgCarbohydrates 21gFiber 4gSugar 10gProtein 39g
Nutrition value is not always accurate
Serve over Brown Rice with a Vegetable or Salad on the side.