Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole is easier, quicker and just as tasty as the traditional version – ham, cheese, chicken and more in this comfort food casserole
This is a somewhat different kind of Cordon Bleu, and I have to say a very delicious different kind!
I have had the original recipe pinned for some time. And finally gotten around to making this absolutely scrumptious Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole – twice already.
I did not bother to take a photo of a serving on a plate. It is just one of those dishes which looks like a total mess once served, but tastes amazing.
My family had gone totally nuts when they tasted this Casserole ! It really is something special and yet, again, so very, very easy to put together.
Both times I cooked the Chicken earlier the day, shredded as I started to get all the ingredients together and from there on the rest of the recipe was a breeze.
I am definitely adding this Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole to my favorite dishes, and I know the kids and hubby will enjoy it no matter the season.
What to serve with a Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole ?
And all you need to serve with this dish, is a side salad or a green vegetable (well, actually any vegetable, I just prefer something green as a side dish).
The first time I made this Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole, I made it exactly as per the recipe (link to original below recipe name), but I was not 100% happy with the topping.
A couple of weeks later, I made the dish again with a few changes.
The topping was the real change, I used fresh bread crumbs, dried herbs and then mixed in the Butter until everything was moist and almost like a doughy kind of thing.
I did not sprinkle over the topping as it was more like big clumps or crumble (like you would use over a dessert) and scattered pieces all over the top – this baked into a buttery, tasty crusty crumble.
More Casserole recipes you might like:
Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- 1 can (410g) Cream Of Mushroom Soup (Condensed Soup) (14 oz)
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 2 t Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 t Black Pepper
- 450 g Cooked Chicken, shredded ( 1 pound )
- 250 g Deli Ham, thinly sliced, chopped ( 8 oz )
- 8 slices Gouda Cheese
- 3/4 cup Fresh White Bread Crumbs
- 1 1/2 t Dried Italian Herbs
- 2 TB Butter, softened
- Paprika, to sprinkle
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 deg C (350 deg F) – spray a 20 x 20cm ( 8 inch ) oven dish with cooking oil
- In a medium bowl, combine the Soup, Mayonnaise, Milk, Mustard and Pepper – divide in half and pour one half in a small bowl
- Add the Chicken to the remaining Sauce mixture in the medium bowl – mix well and scoop evenly into the prepared oven dish
- Arrange the Ham over the Chicken followed by the Cheese (overlapping is fine) – pour the retained Sauce in the small bowl over the Cheese
- Mix together the Bread Crumbs, Herbs and Butter – you should get an almost mushy dough – scatter half teaspoonfuls over the dish
- Sprinkle with paprika and bake 25 – 30 minutes or until golden and the Bread Crumb crumbles are cooked and crunchy
Amount Per Serving Calories 429.6 Total Fat 24.3g Saturated Fat 9.9g Unsaturated Fat 2.2g Cholesterol 106mg Carbohydrates 18.3g Fiber 1g Sugar 3.7g Protein 33.8g
Remove from the oven and leave to stand 5 minutes before serving.