This Spicy Mexican Cottage Pie is a delicious spin on the everyday favorite ! Make it as hot (or not) as you wish with only a crisp salad on the side.
Whether you call it Cottage Pie or Shepherds Pie – same thing ! And it definitely falls on my list of comfort foods ( also the endless quick and easy list I have! ).
I would normally make a simple, plain beef and vegetable pie with a mashed potato topping and that will be it – everyone is happy.
However, today I am sharing with you a more spicy Mexican Cottage Pie , full of flavor and just that little bit different.
You can serve this with any side dish (salads or vegetables) you wish. Or as I usually do, with a simple mixed salad consisting of lettuce, cucumber, fresh pineapple, small cherry tomatoes and some red onion.
We tend to become more and more chili lovers ! It is up to you how many chilies you prefer in this dish, it would not make a huge difference to the overall taste of the spicy Cottage Pie.
More Comfort food dinner recipes you might like:
- Amish Country Casserole
- Chicken Cacciatore (Dump and Bake)
- Oxtail (Slow-Cooker)
- Easy Shepherd’s Pie
- Sweet And Sour Meatball Stir-Fry (Saucy!)
Spicy Mexican Cottage Pie
- 2 TB extra-virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 3 Carrots, peeled and grated
- 2 t Garlic, crushed
- 450 grams Lean Ground Beef, ( 1 pound )
- 1 TB Ground Cumin
- 2 t Dried Oregano
- 1/2 TB Paprika
- 2 Green Chilies, chopped finely (add more or less to your preference)
- 1 can (410 grams) Mexican Style Tomatoes
- 1 can (410 grams) Butter Beans, drained
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 4 cups Cooked Mashed Potatoes, see notes below
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 deg C (350 deg F) – spray a large oven dish with cooking oil
- Heat the Oil in a medium skillet and saute the Onion, Carrots and Garlic until soft – add the Beef and stir to loosen the meat – add the Cumin, Oregano, Paprika and Chilies – cook until the Beef is fully cooked
- Add the Cans of Tomatoes and Beans – heat through and simmer until most of the liquid has reduced – season to taste with Salt and Pepper
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared oven dish – top with the Mashed Potatoes and bake 20 minutes or until golden
- Serve warm with a vegetable side or a salad
- You can use plain potatoes or sweet potatoes to make the mashed potato topping
Amount Per Serving Calories 443Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 68mgSodium 744mgCarbohydrates 40gFiber 6gSugar 8gProtein 27g
Nutrition value is not always accurate