This Spicy Mexican Cottage Pie is a delicious spin on the everyday favorite ! Make it as hot (or not) as you wish with only a crisp salad on the side.
Whether you call it Cottage Pie or Shepherds Pie – same thing ! And it definitely falls on my list of comfort foods ( also the endless quick and easy list I have! ).
I would normally make a simple, plain beef and vegetable pie with a mashed potato topping and that will be it – everyone is happy.
However, today I am sharing with you a more spicy Mexican Cottage Pie , full of flavor and just that little bit different.
You can serve this with any side dish (salads or vegetables) you wish. Or as I usually do, with a simple mixed salad consisting of lettuce, cucumber, fresh pineapple, small cherry tomatoes and some red onion.
We tend to become more and more chili lovers ! It is up to you how many chilies you prefer in this dish, it would not make a huge difference to the overall taste of the spicy Cottage Pie.
More Comfort food dinner recipes you might like:
- Amish Country Casserole
- Chicken Cacciatore (Dump and Bake)
- Oxtail (Slow-Cooker)
- Easy Shepherd’s Pie
- Sweet And Sour Meatball Stir-Fry (Saucy!)
Spicy Mexican Cottage Pie
- 2 TB extra-virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 3 Carrots, peeled and grated
- 2 t Garlic, crushed
- 450 grams Lean Ground Beef, ( 1 pound )
- 1 TB Ground Cumin
- 2 t Dried Oregano
- 1/2 TB Paprika
- 2 Green Chilies, chopped finely (add more or less to your preference)
- 1 can (410 grams) Mexican Style Tomatoes
- 1 can (410 grams) Butter Beans, drained
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 4 cups Cooked Mashed Potatoes, see notes below
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 deg C (350 deg F) – spray a large oven dish with cooking oil
- Heat the Oil in a medium skillet and saute the Onion, Carrots and Garlic until soft – add the Beef and stir to loosen the meat – add the Cumin, Oregano, Paprika and Chilies – cook until the Beef is fully cooked
- Add the Cans of Tomatoes and Beans – heat through and simmer until most of the liquid has reduced – season to taste with Salt and Pepper
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared oven dish – top with the Mashed Potatoes and bake 20 minutes or until golden
- Serve warm with a vegetable side or a salad
- You can use plain potatoes or sweet potatoes to make the mashed potato topping
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Servings
Amount Per Serving Calories 443Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 68mgSodium 744mgCarbohydrates 40gFiber 6gSugar 8gProtein 27g
Nutrition value is not always accurate