Easy Lemon and Onion Fish is juicy Fish on a bed of golden Onions and topped with oven-baked Lemon makes this the perfect weekday dinner
I make this easy Lemon and Onion Fish frequently. And because it is such a quick recipe, AND my kids loved the dish since they were little. That is saying a lot, as most other fish dishes I make, would be frown upon.
When my son was in high school, he once took a look at some fish meal I made. And with a very serious face, told me that he is actually allergic to fish !
Now, really, wouldn’t a mother know a little fact like that about her kids ?
Right, so he tried to pull that one off a couple of times ! Always first had a peak at what exactly the dish looked like though, but all he then had was the side dishes.
Seems since he left school, is going to the gym daily and is a bit older, the allergy “disappeared” – just like that !
Anyhow, I found this gem of a recipe in one of the very first recipe books I ever bought in the early 90’s. It was put together by a local magazine, compiled with recipes which the magazine received from their readers over time.
When I bought my copy, a friend of mine also got a copy and I told her how awesome this Lemon and Onion Fish dish is. Well, she made it that night, but the following day, told me that it is an awful lot of wine in one dish, and how could it be kid-friendly?
The Wine !
There I was, thinking, how could 1/3 cup of wine be a lot ? And the alcohol in the wine evaporates when cooking. That’s when she told me she used a full bottle, 750 ml ( 3 cups ) in the recipe !
She misread the recipe, because it was calling for 75 ml ( 1/3 cup ) of wine. Well, we had a good laugh at that, with her laughing the loudest, so I do not think she will mind me sharing this little tidbit, or she might not even know I have a blog.
Try this recipe next time for flaky, zesty and oven-baked perfect juicy fish.
NOTE: *Hake – during a search, I found that a store called Costco imports and sells them in the US
More easy Dinner recipes you might like:
- Smothered Fish (a.k.a. Fish Mornay)
- Amish Country Casserole
- Chicken Tikka with Mango Salad
- Mongolian Beef Recipe
- Malaysian Chicken and Sticky Rice
Easy Lemon and Onion Fish
- 2 large Onions, sliced into rings
- 2 TB Olive Oil, extra-virgin
- 4 Firm White Fish Fillets, skin removed (450 gr / 1 pound ) (see note below)
- Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
- 3 Lemons, sliced thickly
- 1/3 cup Dry White Wine
- 2 TB Unsalted Butter
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 deg C (350 deg F) – spray a large enough oven dish to arrange a single layer of fish
- Heat the Olive Oil and saute the Onions until golden and soft – place on the bottom of the prepared oven dish
- Arrange the Fish on top of the Onions – season to taste with Salt and Black Pepper
- Top the Fish with Lemon Slices – pour the Wine over and bake 20 minutes or until done (should flake easily) – frozen fish would take about 35 minutes
- Remove the Fish and Lemon Slices carefully, but keep the sauce in the oven dish – stir in the Butter until melted and season with Salt and Black Pepper (if preferred)
- Hake – during a search, I found that a store called Costco imports and sells them in the US
- I use *Hake Medallions* as it is a highly sustainable fish
Amount Per Serving Calories 295.4 Total Fat 20g Saturated Fat 4.6g Unsaturated Fat 8g Carbohydrates 15.3g Fiber 5.2g Sugar 3.4g Protein 19.4g
Serve the Lemon topped Fish with the Butter Sauce, either over the Fish or on the side in a small bowl. Mashed potatoes and a mixed vegetable dish go very well with this dish.