Oxtail (Slow-Cooker) is a rich, hearty and loaded with vegetables Oxtail dish and so easy to make too ! This IS the best recipe and I have been making it for years.
Hubby’s all-time favorite dish – Slow-Cooker OXTAIL ! I never even change the vegetables in this recipe, as the carrots and potatoes just works so well.
I do not make this a lot, as it is a very rich dish, red meat and all that. But there was never a question what would be the main dish on Father’s Day.
He never actually asked for it, but after 27 years together, I think we can read one another’s mind ! Really, I do believe that.
One thing they (anyway, who is this “they” everybody, me included, always mention ..? mmm) say, which I absolutely do not believe is the fact that the longer two people are together, the more they look like one another .. no, no, no waayy!
My late father-in-law could cook up a storm, without having to go out to the grocery store first – he just used whatever was on hand.
He was the one who introduced me to mussels .. yeah, mussels ! I did not grow up eating “foreign” stuff like that, .. and Oxtail ? Never, even heard of it before my father-in-law made it.
Ate the mussels – now love it ! But it was still a few years until I finally made my first oxtail dish.
The recipe I am sharing today was the first one I used (have it written down on a piece of paper – no idea where it came from at first, but it is from a readers compilation of recipes in a magazine’s cook book).
Over the years I tried other recipes as well, but this is still the best. It is very saucy, and literally finger-lickin’ good.
More Slow-Cooker recipes you might like:
- Red Wine Lamb Shanks (Slow-Cooker)
- Best Slow-Cooker Pot Roast
- Beef Carbonnade
- Split Pea and Ground Beef Soup
- Slow-Cooker Beef Ravioli
Connect with us :
- 2 large Onions, cut into rings
- 1 TB Vegetable Oil, for frying
- 1/2 cup Flour, seasoned with Salt and Pepper
- 1.8 kg Oxtail, cut into 5cm (2″) pieces ( 4 pounds )
- 2 cups Boiling Water, (approximately)
- 1/3 cup White Vinegar
- 1/3 cup Brown Sugar
- 6 Carrots, peeled and cut into rings
- 450 g Baby Potatoes, peeled or not ( 1 pound )
- 1/2 packet Oxtail Soup Powder, (use Beef if Oxtail is not available)
- Saute the Onions in a little oil until soft and slightly brown, remove from pan and keep aside.
- Roll the Oxtail pieces in the Seasoned Flour and fry all sides until just browned.
- Place the Oxtail, together with the sauteed Onions in the slow-cooker, cover with Boiling water, add the Vinegar and Brown sugar, cover with lid and cook on HIGH for 4 hours.
- Add the Carrots and Potatoes to the slow-cooker and cook on high for another 2 – 3 hours until the veggies are soft.
- Add the Oxtail soup powder to thicken (1/2 pack should do – but check after another 5 minutes) and cook until thickened 5 – 10 minutes.
Amount Per Serving Calories 799.7 Total Fat 35.1g Saturated Fat 14.1g Unsaturated Fat 15g Carbohydrates 47.8g Fiber 4.7g Sugar 15g Protein 73g
Serve over lots of rice or mashed potatoes – very saucy indeed!