Mussels in Lemon Garlic-Butter Sauce makes the perfect appetizer before the main dinner dish and is an elegant dish for entertaining
No need to go to a restaurant when you are craving Mussels in a creamy sauce. Not to mention how pricey seafood restaurants are these days.
I remember a time when we had dinner at least twice a month at a close-by seafood restaurant. Good old days !
Of course Mussels are not only available as an appetizer in seafood restaurants, but many Steakhouses also have them on their menus.
This recipe is so saucy, exactly what I want in an appetizer of this kind. Just imagine, mopping up the Garlic-Buttery sauce with a crusty slice of bread .. mmm, totally delicious !
We always, but always finish a batch, whether we are four sharing or only two of us.
I also like to serve the Mussels in the skillet it was cooked in, all of us tucking in with our little Mussel forks, and especially dipping bread in the sauce !
But, seating arrangements, or when I make these for more than three or four people, are not always suitable for sharing from one skillet and then I use small, not too deep, bowls (or rather a plate-bowl, if you know what I mean) to serve the Mussels individually.
The serving also depends on your eaters … sharing is fine with the immediate family, or even close friends.
However I would suggest serving this dish in separate bowls, if for instance you have colleagues, or new friends over for dinner.
More Appetizer recipes you might like:
Connect with us :
Mussels In Lemon garlic-Butter Sauce
- 2 TB Butter
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 2 t Fresh Garlic, crushed
- 1/2 t Chili Flakes
- 1 cup Dry White Wine
- 1 cup Fresh Cream, (whipping cream)
- 450 g Half Shell Mussels, ( 1 pound )
- Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
- 1 Lemon, juice and zest
- 1/2 cup Parsley, chopped
- Melt the Butter in a large skillet (with a lid) – saute the Onion, Garlic and Chili Flakes until soft
- Add the White Wine and simmer until reduced by two thirds – add the Cream and simmer 2 – 3 minutes
- Add the Mussels and cover the skillet – over low heat, steam the Mussels until cooked – about 8 – 10 minutes
- Remove from heat – season to taste with Salt and Black Pepper – stir through the Lemon Juice, finely grated Zest and Parsley
Amount Per Serving Calories 395.6
Serve immediately as an appetizer with lots of fresh, crusty bread slices.