This Thai Mussels recipe is quick and easy ! Make it as spicy, or not, as you prefer. Coconut Milk, Chilies and more makes this a delicious appetizer or main meal.
Make this Thai Mussel recipe as hot as you prefer. Or not that hot, the choice is yours !
Thai food is one of our favorite cuisines. However, we do not have a Thai restaurant nearby, and besides it is better and quicker, to make at home.
But what we even love more than Thai food, is Seafood ! Fish, Mussels, Calamari, Lobster, Shrimp and all the rest of it !
We always have a couple of packets of Mussels in the freezer. One of our favorites (to share as it is only hubby and myself), is my Mussels in Lemon Garlic-Butter Sauce.
Another appetizer we like to enjoy as a light dinner is our Cheesy Garlic Shrimp , which is my take on a restaurant (close to us) dish.
A Quick glance at the Ingredients for Thai Mussels :
(scroll down for the full printable recipe)
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil – you can use vegetable oil as well, or even avocado oil (the Chili infused is nice to use)
- 1 medium Onion – like more Onion, use a large Onion !
- 2 teaspoons Garlic, Ginger and Chili Paste Mix – this is the ready-mix little tubs
- 1 teaspoon Red Chili Paste – usually close to the above in the vegetable refrigerators
- 1 stick Lemongrass, fresh – optional, but highly recommended
- 1/2 cup Dry White Wine – any brand will do
- 900 grams Half Shell Mussels, defrosted and cleaned if necessary ( 2 pounds )
- 1 can ( 400 grams ) Coconut Milk, ( 14 ounce can ) – you can use Coconut Cream for a creamier, richer sauce, or even Fresh Cream (double cream/whipping cream) if Coconut is not your thing or you do not have any on hand
- Salt, to taste – I add only a little bit as the Pastes gives a salty taste as well
- Black Pepper, freshly milled, to taste – we love lots of Black Pepper !
- Lemon Juice, fresh, to taste – or Lime juice if you prefer
- 2 Spring Onions, ( Green Onions ) – sliced into fairly small bits
- 2 Red Chillies, chopped – I chop mine very fine
- 2 Green Chillies, chopped – same as above
- Handful Cilantro Leaves – Leave it or add it – your choice
- Handful Basil Leaves – same as above although I recommend using Basil in this Thai Mussel recipe
- Lime Wedges, to serve – can also use Lemon – choice is yours
What to serve with Thai Mussels ?
As an Appetizer :
- Fresh crusty bread
- Garlic bread
- Toasted French bread
As a Main Meal :
- Angel Hair Noodles
- Pastas similar to linguine or spaghetti
- Rice – Basmati, Jasmin or plain old White Rice
- Baked Potato and a Salad or two (two vegetable sides if you want a richer dinner)
More fish and seafood recipes you might like:
- Pistachio Crusted Salmon
- Smoked Haddock Mac And Cheese
- Shrimp Creole (Slow-Cooker)
- Easy Lemon and Onion Fish
- Red Prawns And Mussels
This Thai Mussels recipe is quick and easy ! Make it as spicy, or not, as you prefer. Coconut Milk, Chilies and more makes this a delicious appetizer or main meal
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 medium Onion, chopped finely
- 2 teaspoons Garlic, Ginger and Chili Paste Mix
- 1 teaspoon Red Chili Paste
- 1 stick Lemongrass, fresh (optional)
- 1/2 cup Dry White Wine
- 900 grams Half Shell Mussels, defrosted ( 2 pounds )
- 1 can ( 400 grams ) Coconut Milk, ( 14 ounce can )
- Salt, to taste
- Black Pepper, freshly milled, to taste
- Lemon Juice, fresh, to taste
- 2 Spring Onions, ( Green Onions )
- 2 Red Chillies, chopped
- 2 Green Chillies, chopped
- Handful Cilantro Leaves
- Handful Basil Leaves
- Lime Wedges, to serve
- Heat the Oil in a large skillet or medium pot - saute the Onion until soft and golden
- Add both the Pastes and Lemongrass (if using) - cook for a minute
- Use the Wine to deglaze the skillet, or pot, and cook 1 -2 minutes or until reduced by half
- Add the Mussels and Coconut Milk - cover and cook over medium heat for about 6 minutes until the mussel meat is orange and firm
- Season to taste with Salt and Black Pepper - add the Lemon Juice
- Serve the Mussels hot sprinkled with the remaining ingredients and Lime wedges on the side
- as an appetizer - 6 servings
- as a main meal - 2 adult and two kids' sized servings
Amount Per Serving Calories 143Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 11mgSodium 377mgCarbohydrates 18gFiber 2gSugar 6gProtein 7g
Nutrition value is not always accurate. Please also check your ingredient labels.