Island Beef Casserole is a hearty, delicious casserole, loaded with vegetables and perfect during cooler weather.
Hearty, filling, easy and most of all, this Island Beef Casserole is delicious, and packed with flavor.
I have made this casserole several times over the years especially during Fall or Spring where the temperatures are still trying to settle one way or the other.
Although, I have to say, I think Gauteng has skipped the whole Spring season and jumped straight into Summer.
Unbelievable, one day we were still covered under throws, wearing Winter clothes and the very next day we had upper Summer temperatures !
Right, getting back to the recipe. Use any kind of Beef cubes you like, even the cheaper cuts would do as the meat cooks for over two hours in the oven. More than enough time to tenderize just about any type of Beef.
Island Beef Casserole
Island Beef Casserole is a hearty, delicious casserole, loaded with vegetables and perfect during cooler weather - serve over rice or mashed potatoes.
- 750 g Beef cubed, ( 1 3/4 pounds )
- 3 TB Olive Oil
- 3 TB Flour
- 1 can (410g) Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 Onions sliced
- 1 t Celery Salt
- 1/2 t Black Pepper
- 1/3 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/3 cup Molasses
- 1 cup Beef Stock
- 1 1/2 cups Carrots peeled, sliced/cubed/rounds
- 1/2 cup Seedless Raisins
- 1 t Fresh Ginger finely grated
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 deg C (350 deg F)
- Heat the Oil and brown the Beef over high heat – sprinkle the Flour over and stir-fry 1 minute – reduce heat to medium – add Tomatoes, Onions, Celery Salt and Black Pepper – stir to combine
- In a small bowl combine the Vinegar, Molasses and Beef Stock – add to the Beef mixture and bring to the boil
Transfer the mixture to a large oven dish – bake 2 hours or until the Beef is tender
- Add the Carrots, Raisins and Ginger – stir through and bake another 30 minutes or until the Carrots are cooked
Best served over rice or mashed potatoes.
You Might Also Like: