The perfect cake recipe for a moist Ginger Cream Cake – quick, easy and ideal to make for unexpected guests and always a tea time winner
I make a mean Ginger Bread but have decided to try a Ginger cream cake today with LOADS of sweetened, vanilla flavored fresh whipped cream.
This recipe is for a single layer cake, but you can easily get 8 servings from the cake.
Or double the recipe, use the whipped cream as a filling and dust the top with Icing Sugar (or more whipped cream) !
The cake is so perfect for when you have unexpected guests coming over as it is so quick to make, and just as quick to cool.
When we had a fairly rich dinner, this cake is perfect to top it off. The Ginger Cream Cake is also ideal to serve at tea time – which is usually when I serve the cake.
You can decorate the cake with sprinkles or anything light (because of the whipped cream topping) to suit the occasion.
More Cake recipes you might like:
Ginger Cream Cake
- 3 TB Butter, softened
- 1/2 cup Caster Sugar (Superfine Sugar)
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 TB Golden Syrup (or Maple Syrup)
- 1 cup Self-Raising Flour
- 1 1/2 t Ground Ginger
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1/2 t Bicarbonate of Soda (Baking Soda)
- 1/2 cup Fresh Cream
- 1 t Vanilla Essence
- 2 TB Caster Sugar (Superfine Sugar)
- CAKE: Pre-heat the oven to 180 deg C (350 deg F) – Spray a 20 cm ( 8 inch ) cake pan with cooking oil and line the bottom with baking paper
- Cream the Butter and Sugar together – add the Eggs one by one – mixing in between – add the Syrup and mix well
- Sift the Flour and Ground Ginger together – fold in with the Sugar mixture
- Combine the Milk and Bicarbonate of Soda – add to the batter – mix in gently
- Pour batter into the prepared cake pan – bake 30 – 35 minutes until a tester comes out clean
- Remove cake from the oven – leave in pan for 5 minutes – transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before topping with the whipped cream
- WHIPPED CREAM: Whip the Fresh Cream until stiff points form
- Add the Vanilla and Caster Sugar – whip some more – you want a really stiff cream (but be careful not to whip it into a creamed butter stage)
- Once the cake has completely cooled – spread or pipe the whipped cream on top of the cake and serve immediately
Amount Per Serving Calories 238.5 Total Fat 11.7g Saturated Fat 6.9g Unsaturated Fat 3.9g Carbohydrates 29.3g Sugar 17.7g Protein 3.9g