Chicken Rice and Broccoli is a wonderful, comforting, tomato based dinner on the dining table in about 30 minutes
Besides the Broccoli being steamed separately at first, this Chicken Rice and Broccoli dinner is cooked all in one pot.
The rice turns out super tomato creamy and makes a wonderful base for this dish.
I do not steam the Broccoli for too long as we prefer it still on the crunchy side.
A simple salad like coleslaw, Greek salad or a Garden salad is all you need to serve with this dish.
My hubby loves his dinner rolls, so he always have one or two with most of our dinner meals, but I have found the Rice is more than enough starch for me.
Depending on how much time I have to get dinner on the table, I use either a plain pot or my pressure cooker which I really only use because of it’s size. The time saved with the pressure cooker only drops with maybe 5 or 10 minutes.
As always it is better to use fresh Broccoli, but frozen will also do as long as it is not over cooked. This can turn the Broccoli into a mushy mess once stirred into the dish at the end.
Other than maybe a quick run to the green grocer for the Broccoli you should have all the other ingredients on hand. Especially if you do buy your meats in bulk once a month. The recipe is also extremely easy to double or even triple.
More Chicken recipes you might like:
Chicken Rice and Broccoli
- 2 TB Olive Oil
- 1 Onion chopped
- 2 t Fresh Garlic crushed
- 6 Chicken Thighs trimmed
- 1 1/4 cup Boiling Water
- 1 KNORR Chicken Stock Pot
- 1 t Paprika
- 1/2 t Turmeric
- 2 TB Honey
- 1 cup Rice
- 1 can (410g) Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 cups Fresh Broccoli steamed
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat the Oil in a large pot – add the Onion and Garlic – saute until soft
- Add the Chicken and cook until browned on all sides
- Place the boiling Water in a medium bowl – dissolve the Stock Pot and add the Paprika, Turmeric and Honey – stir until well mixed – add to the Chicken, together with the Rice and can of Tomatoes
- Stir gently, bring to the boil – reduce heat and simmer for 25 – 30 minutes or until the Chicken and Rice are cooked through
- Add the Broccoli and simmer until heated through – season to taste with Salt and Pepper
Serve with a crunchy salad and a dinner roll.