Amish Breakfast Bake has layers of bread, ham, cheese and an egg mixture results in this fluffy omelette textured layered Breakfast Bake
Amish Breakfast Bake is not only for breakfast. At least not in our house as we love to enjoy most breakfasts for dinner as well.
This breakfast bake has layers of bread, ham, cheese and once the egg mixture is poured over, the dish turns into an absolutely wonderful, flavorful breakfast and no one even notice the bread.
Soon as the egg mixture and the cheese combined, it melted into the bread, leaving a texture more like a fluffy omelette.
We are in our last month of Winter here in South-Africa and, I have to admit, this Winter really got to me. Could be an age thing, but I’d rather blame it on the worldwide strange weather phenomena we see all over.
What I like most of this Amish Breakfast Bake is that it requires the minimum (time wise) prepping. By the time the oven has reached the correct temperature, the dish is ready to go into the oven.
And I can either get back in bed for a few more minutes or back under my blanket, depending whether I make it for breakfast or dinner.
A simple salad or two on the side is all that’s needed for dinner and for breakfast I usually serve a muesli-yogurt bowl along with this.
The original recipe called for Corn Flakes as a topping, but I only had Rice Krispies in the pantry the first time I baked this, and have since only used Rice Krispies.
Amish Breakfast Bake
- 12 slices White Bread crusts removed
- 450 g Deli Ham ( 1 pound )
- 2 cups Cheddar Cheese grated
- 6 Eggs
- 3 cups Milk
- 1 t Mustard Powder
- 1 t Onion Powder
- 1/2 t Salt
- 1/2 t Cayenne Pepper
- 1/3 cup Unsalted Butter melted
- 3 cups Rice Krispies
- Parsley chopped (to garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 180 deg C (350 deg F) – spray a 20 x 30 cm ( 8 x 12 inch ) oven dish with cooking oil
- Place 6 Slices of White Bread on the bottom of the oven dish – arrange half the Ham over the Bread – sprinkle over 1 cup Cheddar Cheese – repeat the layers
- In a large bowl whisk together the Eggs, Milk, Mustard Powder, Onion Powder, Salt and Pepper – pour over the Bread/Ham/Cheese layers
- Mix together the melted Butter and the Rice Krispies – sprinkle over the Egg mixture – bake 50 – 60 minutes until set (the Breakfast Bake will puff up, but settle again once it is removed from the oven)
Garnish with Parsley
Garnish with the Parsley, slice and serve immediately.
More Amish Recipes You Might Like: