Week Night Curry and Rice is a simple, quick and easy dinner recipe for a busy week night using ground beef. Can also be served over mashed potatoes or as a filling in a dinner roll
This week night Curry and Rice has been my go-to recipe for years. It is quick, easy and you decide whether your family would like it hot or not by using your favorite strength curry powder.
Both my kids were into sport at school, which meant we used to get home quite late in the afternoon and sometimes even after 7 pm.
We tried to be there for each and every game as well as their training sessions. I think I missed two of my son’s rugby games and maybe one of my daughter’s hockey games in all of their school years.
Getting home that late meant food had to be on the table in a flash ! Homework had to be done and if your family is anything like mine, there are always a zillion of other stuff to be done.
That is why I call this recipe our Week Night Curry and Rice, ready in no time at all.
During a busy week night I do not mind using a can of mixed vegetables. But when I have more time (usually over a weekend), I like to chop up fresh vegetables and use cubed beef or lamb in my curry dishes.
This Curry can also be served over mashed potatoes or (one of our favorites in South-Africa !) as a filling in Vetkoek.
Vetkoek is deep fried bread dough which puffs up whilst frying and makes the most wonderful pocket to be filled with just about any meat (or jam, syrup etc for a sweet treat).
If you do happen to have some leftover vegetables, and time, feel free to use that instead (steam the vegetables first before adding to the meat).
I also like Banana slices served with my Curry and Rice, but my family is not too much into that. Makes a delicious topping addition though !
Week Night Curry And Rice
- 2 TB Olive Oil
- 1 TB Curry Powder (your preferred strength)
- 1 t Turmeric
- 1 Red Onion chopped
- 450 g Lean Ground Beef ( 1 pound )
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Water
- 2 TB Tomato Sauce (thick Ketch-Up)
- 1 TB White Vinegar
- 1 TB Brown Sugar
- 1 can (410g) Mixed Curry Vegetables do not drain
- Cooked Rice
- Desiccated Coconut
- Heat the Oil in a medium pot – add the Curry and Turmeric – stir-fry 1 minute – add the Onion and cook until soft
- Add the Ground Beef – cook until done – stirring regularly to avoid clumps forming
- Season to taste with Salt and Pepper
- In a small bowl, mix the Water, Tomato Sauce, Vinegar and Sugar – add to the Beef, together with the can of Mixed Vegetables – heat through
Serve over Rice topped with Coconut and Chutney (Banana slices are also delicious with a good curry!).
You Might Also Like :