These No Yeast Hot Cross Buns are the perfect Easter treat and is mixed, baked and ready to serve in under an hour. Perfect Easter treat !
This No Yeast Hot Cross Buns recipe are right up my ally ! I do not like working with yeast and I always seem to make a mess of whatever I am trying to bake.
Hot Cross Buns are however one of my favorite morning snacks, not only around Easter time, but all year round.
Now, it is convenient to pick up a packet or three at the supermarket. But what if I am craving a Hot Cross Bun in say, the evening, or on a morning when I am home alone ?
Really, I am not going to start messing about with yeast, kneading, rising, kneading again or whatever it takes to bake my own.
The mixing and baking of these Buns are quick and easy, as most recipes are on With A Blast.
Texture of No Yeast Hot Cross Buns
I will be totally honest, it is not 100% the same texture as the Buns made with yeast.
The buns also do not rise all that high. The final height is about 5 centimeters (2 inches) which is not that bad at all.
This is more a recipe which reminds me of scones. Or biscuits as some would call it. But with a softer and more moist texture if you get what I mean.
Now, for a quick fix to your craving for Hot Cross Buns, this is the recipe for you !
Substitutions for raisins in Hot Cross Buns :
The Raisins can be substituted with Sultanas or even Chocolate Chips – now that’s a great idea (and delicious too!).
Heat up the oven. Start mixing and by the time the oven temperature is ready, your dough would be rolled out and all, ready to go into the oven.
Forgot about dessert ? Bake a batch of these Hot Cross Buns and serve piping hot straight from the oven – serve with ice-cream !
You might also like these Easter recipes:
- Easter Kit-Kat Cake
- Brownie Cheesecake Bars (Easter)
- Easter Martini
- Easter Dessert Candy Board
- Easter Egg Cupcakes
No Yeast Hot Cross Buns
- 3 1/2 cups Self-Raising Flour
- 1/2 t Salt
- 1/2 t Mixed Spice
- 1/2 t Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 cup Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Raisins
- 1 Egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup Milk, (approximately)
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 1/3 cup Water
- 1 TB Sugar
- 1 t Gelatin Powder
- 1 TB Hot Water
- Pre-heat the oven to 220 deg C (450 deg F) – butter a 20 x 30cm (8 x 12 inch) oven dish
- Combine the Self-Raising Flour, Salt, Spice and Cinnamon in a medium mixing bowl – add the Butter and rub in until combined
- Add the Sugar, Raisins and the Egg – stir to mix – add just enough Milk, little by little, to form a stiff dough
- Roll out to a 1cm (10mm) thickness and use a 5cm (2 inch) round cookie cutter to cut out 8 pieces – arrange in the prepared oven dish
- Make a paste by mixing the Flour and Water – transfer to a piping bag and pipe a cross on each dough round – bake 15 – 20 minutes (I use the top grill to brown the buns a little – a minute or two will do) – remove from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack
- Dissolve the Sugar and Gelatin in the Hot Water – brush over the warm Hot Cross Buns
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Servings Serving Size 1 Bun
Amount Per Serving Calories 358Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 41mgSodium 826mgCarbohydrates 64gFiber 2gSugar 14gProtein 9g
Nutrition value is not always accurate
Serve warm or cold with Butter.