Easter Egg Cupcakes with colors of the rainbow are so easy to make and topped with a cream cheese frosting and small Easter eggs make these a hit with young and old !
Easter means color everywhere, so why not in cupcakes as well ! Cream cheese frosting, some coconut and a couple of Easter Eggs and you have a colorful and delicious Easter Egg Cupcake.
The other day I spoke to a fellow blogger friend of mine who reckons to make multi-colored cupcakes or any cake is a lot of work.
So not true, I would say using different colors add around an additional 5 minutes of prepping before baking the cupcakes.
I made a plain old vanilla cupcake batter, to which I added four different colors. You can of course use any essence to flavor these, strawberry, mint or whatever you prefer.
Beautifully colorful and the kids will love them !
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter softened
- 2 Extra-Large Eggs
- 2 t Vanilla Essence
- 1 1/2 cup Flour
- 1 TB Baking Powder
- 1/2 cup Milk
- Red / Blue / Yellow / Green Food coloring
- 250 g Cream Cheese softened ( 8 oz )
- 1/4 cup Unsalted Butter softened
- 2 t Vanilla Essence
- 2 TB Milk
- 4-6 cups Icing Sugar
- Few drops Green Food Coloring
- 1/4 cup Desiccated Coconut
- 36 small Easter Eggs
Pre-heat the oven to 180 deg C (350 deg F) – Line a 12 hole muffin pan with cupcake liners
- Beat the Sugar and Butter together until creamy – add the Eggs and Vanilla – beat until well combined
- Sift together the Flour and Baking Powder – add to the Sugar mixture and beat on low – add the Milk and beat on low until combined
Divide the batter into 4 smaller bowls – add a few drops of each Food color (add as much or as little as you like, but rather start with less and then increase)
Spoon into the prepared muffin pan – add teaspoonfuls of each color per hole, repeat until all the batter has been used – take a toothpick and roughly give each batter filled hole a swirl or two
Bake 15 – 20 minutes or until done when a tester comes out clean - Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack
- Beat together the Cream Cheese, Butter, Vanilla and Milk until smooth – add the Icing Sugar by the cup, whilst beating continuously, until you are satisfied with the consistency – add a few drops of Green coloring and mix until the color is even.
Once the cupcakes are completely cooled – pipe or spread over some frosting, sprinkle Coconut over, with a bit more right on top – form a little “nest” with the coconut and add three Easter Eggs to the top
You Might Also Like: