This Blueberry Lemon Meringue is such a refreshing, different pie ! Easy to make and everyone loves it. You always have a winner when combining Blueberries and Lemon.
Originally posted July 11, 2013
If you want to wow your family or guests with an amazing dessert, this Blueberry Lemon Meringue is just the dessert for you.
Make the Blueberry compote the night before, if possible, and finish the dessert the next day. The longer the Blueberry Lemon Meringue stands, the better is gets !
You will notice that the crust, especially on the sides get a little soft. This is due to the, oh so yummy syrup from the Blueberry compote.
It does however still slice nicely, as long as you chill the dessert for at least 4 – 6 hours. This will also set the Lemon filling completely.
As fresh Blueberries are not always available, I tend to forget about this awesome version of a Lemon Meringue.
And it is not only an impressive looking pie, it is most delicious ! Sweet Blueberries in a light syrup and zesty Lemon is always a winner.
Just look at the piece off the spoon – way past decadent. Next time you decide on a Lemon Meringue, why not give this Blueberry Lemon Meringue a go ?
As it is a rich dessert, you should be able to get at least 6 large slices, however, I found when cut into 8 slices, it is just right.
So perfect and just the dessert to take along when it is your turn to bring the dessert !
More Blueberry recipes you might like:
- Easy Blueberry Smoothie
- Blueberry and Lemon Trifles
- Pork Loin with Blueberry-BBQ Sauce
- Smoked Chicken And Blueberry Salad
- Balsamic Roasted Pork And Berry Salad
Connect with us :
Blueberry Lemon Meringue
- 1 1/2 cups Fresh Blueberries, divided
- 3 TB Sugar
- 3 TB Water
- 1 t Lemon Juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/4 t Lemon Zest, finely grated
- 1/8 t Salt
- 1/8 t Ground Cinnamon
- 1 t Flour
- 200 grams Cookie Crumbs, Graham Crackers or Tennis Biscuits ( 7 oz )
- 6 TB Unsalted Butter, melted
- 3 extra-large Eggs, separated
- 1 can ( 397 grams ) Sweetened Condensed Milk , ( 14 oz can )
- 1/2 cup + 2 TB Lemon Juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 t Lemon Zest, finely grated
- 1/8 t Salt
- 4 TB Caster Sugar, ( Superfine Sugar )
- Place all the ingredients (except half of the Blueberries and the Flour) in a small saucepan – cook over medium heat until the Sugar has dissolved – add the Flour – cook another minute -remove from the heat – stir in the remaining Blueberries – cool and chill for at least 2 hours in the refrigerator
- Pre-heat the oven to 160 deg C (325 deg F) – spray a standard size pie dish with cooking oil
- Combine the Cookie Crumbs and the Butter – press into the bottom and sides of the prepared pie dish
- Beat together the Egg Yolks, Condensed Milk, Lemon Juice, Zest and Salt until well combined
- Pour the filling into the prepared crust – bake for 10 minutes – remove from oven
- Beat the Egg Whites until stiff peaks form – add the Caster Sugar by the tablespoon
- Scoop the Blueberry Compote around the outer sides (all round) over the Meringue Filling – scoop the beaten Egg Whites onto the middle – overlapping slightly with the Blueberry Compote – return to oven and bake another 10 – 15 minutes until golden brown and set
- Remove from the oven, let cool and place into the refrigerator to fully set for 4 - 6 hours
- The Blueberry Compote only takes a few minutes to make therefore try to make it the night before if possible
Serving Size1 Slice
Amount Per Serving Calories 337Total Fat 19gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 94mgSodium 235mgCarbohydrates 39gFiber 1gSugar 25gProtein 5g
Nutrition value is not always accurate
Linked up at : WEEKEND POTLUCK – The Country Cook