Cheddar Cookies are especially great to add to a savory snack / appetizers platter, whether they are served with tea / coffee or with a glass of wine
I seriously could not stop munching on these, and we had this as an after dinner snack with a glass of wine.
The texture is a little softer than a shortbread cookie, but very much the same though. The Cheddar must be grated really as finely as you can get it.
We were still enjoying the first batch when I mentioned that I should have made double the recipe and my family fully agreed !
Since the first batch, I baked these cookies countless times already and they remain a hit with my family and our friends who have tasted them.
Since these cookies are small, bite-sized, I have found that the easiest way to fill the cavities (made by using the end of a wooden spoon’s handle) is to use a teaspoon, but use the tip of the handle instead. I know there are little gadgets especially for this kind of tiny fillings, but I have never bought one.
Also, you need to use smooth Apricot Jam (or Jelly as known in some countries), not the chunky kind as it would be too difficult to fill the small cavities.
More Savory snack recipes you might like:
- Pesto Tomato and Cheese Muffins
- Pizza Pop-Itz
- Chive Deviled Eggs (Kids’ Favorite)
- Cheddar And Chives Muffins
- Avocado Lime Deviled Eggs
- 2 cups Flour
- 1/2 t Salt
- 1/4 t Baking Powder
- 2 1/2 cups Cheddar Cheese, finely grated
- 250 g Butter, ( 8 oz )
- 1/4 cup Smooth Apricot Jam
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 deg C (400 deg F) – line 2 baking sheets with baking paper.
- Sift together the Flour, Salt and Baking Powder – stir in the Cheddar Cheese.
- Add the Butter and mix to form a dough – place in the refrigerator for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Roll dough into small walnut-sized balls and place on the lined sheets – Make a small cavity, using the end of a wooden spoon’s handle, in each ball (do not push the spoon all the way through) – Fill each cavity with Apricot Jam but do not overfill.
- Bake 10 – 15 minutes, remove from the oven and leave to cool completely.
Serve as part of an appetizer tray, tea time snack or a lunchbox treat
Nutrition InformationYield 48 Cookies Serving Size 1 Cookie
Amount Per Serving Calories 86Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 18mgSodium 103mgCarbohydrates 5gFiber 0gSugar 1gProtein 2g
Nutrition value is not always accurate