The way the Obama’s have their White House Chili – with the trimmings !
Yep, apparently this is how the Obamas have their White House chili. And I have to say it is a first class, comforting meal on a cold night !
You can of course add more or less chili powder or even fresh chilies, but the recipe below was just right for us. I had to adapt a little, but not much.
And we had it with all the trimmings, chopped onions, grated Cheddar cheese and especially the sour cream ! I think the sour cream is actually the deal breaker here.
Best of all, dinner will be on the table within 30 minutes, give or take a minute. Simple, everyday pantry ingredients which you should already have on hand.
White House Chili
The way the Obama's have their White House Chili - with the trimmings
- 1 TB Olive Oil
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 Green Bell Pepper chopped
- 2 t Garlic crushed
- 450 g Lean Ground Beef ( 1 pound )
- 2 TB Garlic and Chili Powder
- 1/4 t Ground Cumin
- 1/4 t Oregano
- 1/2 t Turmeric
- 1/4 t Dried Basil
- 1 can (410g) Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 t Sugar
- 3 TB Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 can (410g) Red Kidney Beans drained and rinsed
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cheddar Cheese grated
- Onion chopped
- Sour Cream
- Heat the Olive Oil in a large saucepan – saute the Onion, Green Bell Pepper and the Garlic until soft
- Add the Ground Beef and cook until done
- In a small bowl mix the Garlic and Chili Powder, Cumin, Oregano, Turmeric and Basil – add to the Beef mixture – stir through
Add the Tomatoes, Sugar, Red Wine Vinegar and the Red Kidney Beans – simmer 20 minutes until the liquid from the Tomatoes have reduced some
- Season to taste with Salt and Pepper
Serve over rice with Grated Cheddar Cheese, chopped Onion and Sour Cream on the side ( Recipe Source : Mr FOOD )
We will most definitely have this dish again and I hope you will try it too (and enjoy ! )