Delicious use for leftover Chicken and Rice or use rotisserie chicken ~ easy mix-and-bake Corn Chip Chicken Casserole dinner recipe
I have been posting so many Christmas related recipes. And a craft or two, lately and thought it is about time I post something normal for a change. This Corn Chip Chicken Casserole is not one of the most colorful dishes, but let me tell you, it packs a great punch !
Spicy food, too much cheese, beans, corn and so many more kinds of food and ingredients are actually (well… should be) off my list after the surgery. But food is one of my biggest passions, and I break the rules more than I should.
Yes, I know the consequences, but if something looks delicious, is delicious and I want some, I am prepared to take whatever my body throws at me afterwards.
I did not mention all that in the previous paragraph for nothing ! This Corn Chip Chicken Casserole is spicy, ever so cheesy, rich and comforting.
Just about everything I am craving for especially since we have lots of overcast and/or rainy days lately. And even though our Summer just started, some nights get a little chilly.
If you are wondering what Chakalaka is, it is a South-African relish which can be homemade or bought canned. I have never made Chakalaka myself, but have bought the canned type a couple of times.
It is a wonderful mix of vegetables, very spicy and varies from mild to very hot. There are also different vegetable combinations. Most people use it over braai-pap (a maize dish served with BBQ-ed meat etc). It is also delicious over mashed potatoes and rice.
I only use it in casseroles as even the mild is not that mild, but adds so much taste to a plain casserole. (Substitutes are given in the recipe)
Corn Chip Chicken Casserole
- 2 cups Cooked Chicken cubes or strips
- 3 cups Cooked Rice
- 1 can (410g) Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 cup Frozen Corn defrosted
- 2 cans Chakalaka (or 1 can Chopped Tomatoes+ 1 can Green Chilies)
- 2 t Taco Seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups Cheddar Cheese grated, divided
- 1 1/2 cups Corn Chips coarsely broken
- Spring Onions chopped, to garnish (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 deg C (350 deg F) – spray a 20 x 30cm ( 8 x 12 inch ) oven dish with cooking oil
- In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients, except 1/2 cup Cheese, the Corn Chips and Spring Onions
- Transfer to the prepared oven dish – top with the Corn Chips – sprinkle over the retained 1/2 cup Cheese and bake 30 minutes or until heated through and the Cheese is bubbly
Garnish with the Spring Onions (if using) and serve immediately with dinner rolls and a crunchy side salad.
You Might Also Like: