Sweet and Sour Shrimp is The BEST Shrimp recipe by far. All covered in a thick, scrumptious sauce and perfect to serve for dinner
This is a new recipe I tried for Sweet and Sour Shrimp and it turned out great.
Much better than some take-away restaurants’ Shrimp we have had before !
It takes me less than 30 minutes to prepare and cook the Shrimp to perfection.
Fortunately I had my rice cooker going before I started with the Shrimp as we all know Shrimp is not a dish that likes to hang around for too long.
My son decided at the last minute – well almost last minute! – that he will join us for dinner.
I know my family is huge on Shrimp and as I had only 2 bags of the Jumbo Mozambique Prawns on hand, I asked hubby to pick up another bag.
But the store he had gone to did not have the same and he bought large Shrimp, hence the mixed Prawns/Shrimp you see in the photos.
One thing I would do differently next time I am making this dish, is to double the Sauce. And if you are also a saucy person I would strongly recommend a double batch.
More Shrimp recipes you might like:
- Shrimp Salad With Spicy Watermelon Salsa
- Sweet And Sour Shrimp Fried Rice
- Shrimp Springrolls
- Creamy Shrimp Tortellini Soup
- Shrimp Avocado Pasta Salad
Connect with us :
Sweet and Sour Shrimp
- 3 TB Sugar
- 1/2 cup Thick Soy Sauce
- 1/3 cup Rice Vinegar
- 3 TB Tomato Paste
- 1/4 cup Dry Sherry
- 2 TB Cornflour
- 1/4 cup Water
- 3 TB Sesame Oil
- 2 TB Garlic, fresh, crushed
- 4 t Ginger, freshly grated
- 5 Spring Onions, chopped - white and green parts
- 1.2 kg Jumbo Shrimp, cut and de-veined (see note below)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, thinly sliced
- Combine all the ingredients for the Sauce in a small bowl – set aside
- Heat the Oil over medium heat in a large wok – add the Garlic, Ginger and Spring Onions – stir-fry two minutes
- Add the Shrimp and stir-fry 3 – 4 minutes or until almost done – add both the Bell Peppers – stir-fry another 2 minutes
- Pour the Sauce over and stir well to combine and heat through for a minute or two
- You can use a combination of Prawns and Shrimp or only one of the two
Amount Per Serving Calories 276Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 317mgSodium 2348mgCarbohydrates 13gFiber 1gSugar 7gProtein 36g
Nutrition value is not always accurate
Remove from heat and serve immediately over rice or pasta.