Creamy Shrimp Chowder is an easy homemade chowder, rich, comforting and the perfect comfort food on a chilly day
Creamy Shrimp Chowder is a rich, comforting meal for dinner or lunch.
Shrimp is one of our all time favorites and I love using it in as many as possible recipes. And let me tell you, Shrimp is used in anything from appetizers, snacks and main meals.
I am sure if you put this Chowder in a blender and blitz for a minute or two, you can really count it as a drink as well!
This is the perfect Chowder to drive away any Winter chills. We are smack down into Summer right now in South-Africa. But I always crave a good soup or chowder after a nice long rain.
Which of course we have during Summer – together with some heavy thunderstorms – unlike some countries who have their rains and storms all mixed in with snow during Winter.
You should have most of the ingredients in your pantry, except maybe the Shrimp. Which can always be substituted with Chicken if you have no time to pop into the supermarket or your local seafood store.
Creamy Shrimp Chowder
- 2 TB Butter
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Cornflour (Cornstarch)
- 2 cups Milk
- 1 cup Vegetable Stock
- 1 cup Dry White Wine
- 3 Potatoes peeled, cubed small
- 450 g Shrimp defrosted if using frozen ( 1 pound )
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Chives finely chopped
- Extra Chives chopped (optional)
- Melt the Butter in a saucepan over medium heat – saute the Onion until soft
- Mix the Cornflour with a little of the Milk – set aside
- Add the remaining Milk to the saucepan and heat, but do not let boil
Pour in the Vegetable Stock and Wine – stir to combine – reduce heat and let simmer 2 – 3 minutes
Stir in Potatoes and simmer another 8 – 10 minutes or until Potatoes have softened
- Add Shrimp, bring back to simmer for an additional 5 minutes – pour in the Cornflour mixture and stir continuously until smooth and thickened
- Season to taste with Salt and Pepper – stir in the finely chopped Chives
Serve, garnished with chopped Chives (if using)
Serve, garnished with chopped Chives (if using).