Bacon Garlic Bread Pizza – A Pizza, but on Garlic Bread – the ideal weekend food and much quicker and easier to make than a traditional pizza
It is almost weekend and for a lot of South-Africans also the first weekend after being back at work or school after the long December holiday.
This Bacon Garlic Bread Pizza is ideal for a Friday dinner or a Saturday afternoon late lunch or early dinner.
We do not have a set time for dinner, although during the week it is usually around 5pm. Rarely later than that.
But weekends, well, we go with the flow – meaning wait and see which kids are home and at what time.
If they are all here, say around 3pm, we will have a late lunch (or early dinner – whichever you prefer). And then only have something very small later to munch on.
That is also when my favorite platters come into play, because mostly from 3pm to 9pm we have 2 or 3 Rugby games to watch and you will never find me in the kitchen when, especially my team, is playing 😉
The Bacon topping is one of our favorites, because who does not LOVE bacon ?! Right ? Anyhow, you can use cooked Chicken cubes, deli Ham or anything really.
Which type of bacon ?
I prefer the Bacon, for reason above of course and also there is no pre-cooking involved.
Once the strips of Bacon are all chopped up into smaller pieces and scattered over the Garlic Bread, 8 – 10 minutes is more than enough time to cook the smoked Bacon fully.
I am not talking about Bacon Bits here though, as the Bits are much, much thicker than the Smoked Bacon I am using, and will obviously need pre-cooking.
And this Bacon Garlic Bread Pizza would not fare well if left in the oven for too long.
More snack recipes !
Bacon Garlic Bread Pizza
Bacon Garlic Bread Pizza - A Pizza,, but on Garlic Bread - the ideal weekend food and much quicker and easier to make than a traditional pizza
- 2 Oval French Loaves cut in half lengthwise
- 4 t Fresh Garlic crushed
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil extra-virgin
- 1/2 t Salt
- 1/4 t Black Pepper
- 1 1/2 cups Tomatoes chopped
- 250 g Smoked Streaky Bacon chopped ( 8 oz )
- 1/2 cup Spring Onions chopped
- 2 cups Mozzarella Cheese grated
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 deg C (400 deg F) – line 2 baking sheets with baking paper
- Place the Bread – open side facing up – on the baking sheets
- Mix the Garlic, Oil, Salt and Pepper – brush over the bread
- Divide the Tomatoes, Bacon, Onions and Mozzarella between the 4 halves of bread – layer in the same order given, ending with Mozzarella
- Bake 8 – 10 minutes until the Cheese has melted and the Bacon is done
Slice and serve warm.