Bacon Jam Apple and Brie is one of the most popular toppings for our Crostini tray. We also include a quick recipe for Bacon Jam.
Therefore you are set to make these Crostini either for a special occasion or as part of a lunch platter for the family
Bacon Jam, Apple and Brie pairs up so well, it has to be a winner combination for a Crostini topping. You could also make Bourbon Bacon Jam using the recipe below.
Have a look at the alternative for not only turning the Bacon Jam into an, oh so delicious, Bourbon Bacon Jam recipe but also which Cheeses go best on a Crostini with the Jam.
But first !
What Is Bacon Jam ?
This Bacon Jam is a sweet and savory spread made from fried bacon, onions, vinegar, honey, and garlic. It is similar to the Austrian starter Verhackertes.
Bacon Jam is not readily available in stores in South-Africa, therefore homemade is best. And with this quick recipe for Bacon Jam you can have a batch in about 30 – 35 minutes !
Not everyone prefers or even likes Brie Cheese (I just love ALL cheeses!) and this section is for you:
Which Cheeses Go Well With Bacon Jam ?
- A Mild Cheddar
Soft Cheeses: (my favorite on a Crostini especially!)
- Ricotta (use crumbled)
- Mozzarella – although this is a semi-soft Cheese – still great on Crostini
How To Make Bourbon Bacon Jam using the recipe below ?
Glad you asked ! It is really simple, as the only change needed is to leave out the Water and use, same quantity, Bourbon.
I normally heat the Bourbon just a bit, but room temperature is also fine.
Everything else remains the same.
How and When Do You Serve Bacon Jam Crostini ?
Crostini can be served at room temperature as a snack or an appetizer. As an appetizer I normally include a wider range of toppings on my Crostini.
As it is served at room temperature, Crostini is also great to make ahead of time.
Did you only want the Quick Bacon Jam recipe ? Then might I give you some ideas on where to use this delicious jam !
Uses For Bacon Jam :
- With Omelet or Scrambled Eggs
- On Burgers
- As a baked Potato topping – great with Sweet Potatoes too !
- Simply as a Dip to most of your snacks in need of a dip
- Over Chicken, Pork and even Salmon
- Sandwiches – toasted or not
More Snacks and Appetizer recipes you might like :
- Cheesy Beer Hushpuppies
- Chili Bites
- Nut and Herb Crusted Cheese Ball
- Mussels In Lemon Garlic-Butter Sauce
- Easy Charcuterie Board To Make Within Minutes
Bacon Jam Apple and Brie Crostini Recipe
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin Olive Oil
- 450 grams Streaky Bacon, ( 1 pound ) finely chopped
- 1 small Onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Crushed Garlic
- 1 ½ teaspoons Paprika
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- ⅓ cup Honey, or Maple Syrup
- ⅓ cup Hot Water
- 1 Long Baguette, ( 450 grams/1 pound ), sliced into 18 slices
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 200 grams Brie Cheese, (2 triangles) - cut into small chunks
- 1 Granny Smith Apple, halved and thinly sliced
- 100 grams Arugula, ( 3.5 oz )
- Black Pepper, to taste
- Bacon Jam: Heat the oil in skillet and fry the Bacon over high heat until crispy
- Lower the heat, add onion and saute for 5 minutes
- add the Garlic and Paprika and stir-fry for a minute - then pour in Vinegar to deglaze the skillet
- Add the Honey and Water - simmer for 15 minutes or until a jam consistency is reached (it will be a chunky jam)
- Crostini: Spread the Baguette slices both sides with Butter and toast both sides (I prefer in the oven, but you can use a toaster)
- Spread the toasted Baguette slices with the Bacon Jam, top with Brie Cheese and Apple slices - end with a piece of Arugula
- Season with Black Pepper and serve
You can easily half or double the recipe
Nutrition InformationYield 18 Serving Size 1 Crostini
Amount Per Serving Calories 132Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 15mgSodium 181mgCarbohydrates 16gFiber 1gSugar 7gProtein 5g
Nutrition value is not always accurate. Please also check your ingredient labels.