Best Layered Salad is so quick and easy to make ! Low-fat too and the best layered salad I have ever tasted and you can make it ahead of time ! The dressing (more a sauce topping) is to die for delicious.
This is the best Layered Salad I have ever had, and that is saying a lot, seeing as we are a family who practically lives on salads.
No strange ingredients, but this combination is just wow ! To be honest, I would say the creamy dressing, which is more like a thick sauce, makes this salad. One taste and you will be hooked.
A couple of days after we had this salad the first time, we had some snacks. But I had forgotten to get our usual dips and I also were not in the mood to make something complicated.
I then remembered this dressing-sauce, and made a batch for dipping. What a surprise, it was delicious, so now we not only have a new dressing, but a sauce and a dip all in one.
No need to feel guilty afterwards as well, as the salad ingredients are diet-friendly to most diet plans I know of and the dressing-sauce is made with low-fat Cottage Cheese.
Therefore, dig in, I surely did as did my health conscience mom-in-law who lives with us now.
The only bit of cooking is the sauteing of the Onion and Mushroom, but that takes only a couple of minutes and you can get it ready in advance.
How many layers ?
As I am typing this post, I quickly counted the layers, I count eleven layers. Which makes it the most layers in a salad I have ever seen.
Ten layers, yes, seen that, but I have never really looked at the ingredients of layered salads until I made this best Layered Salad.
I made the salad a day in advance once, covered the bowl with plastic wrap and it was still fresh, crispy, crunchy and delicious the following day.
As long as you do not mix up all the ingredients, and cover the bowl well, this will make a fantastic picnic or potluck salad.
More Salad recipes you might like:
- Pea Egg and Feta Salad
- Ham and Cheese Pasta Salad
- Smoked Chicken and Blueberry Salad
- Strawberry Arugula Salad
- Shrimp Avocado Pasta Salad
Best Layered Salad
- 1 TB Vegetable Oil
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 250 g Mushrooms, sliced ( 8 oz )
- 1 1/2 cups Lettuce, shredded
- 1 cup Mixed Bean Sprouts
- 1 cup Celery Ribs, chopped
- 1 Red Bell Peppers, chopped
- 2 Yellow Bell Peppers, chopped
- 2 cups Frozen Peas, defrosted
- 2 cups Frozen Corn, defrosted
- 3 TB Brown Onion Soup Powder
- 1 cup Low-Fat Cottage Cheese, smooth, plain
- 3 TB Low-Fat 1000 Island Salad Dressing
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese, grated (low-fat if preferred)
- 1/2 cup Fresh Chives, chopped
- Heat the Oil in a pan – saute the Onion until soft – add the Mushrooms and stir-fry until soft and golden – remove from heat and let cool
- SALAD : Start your layers in this order : Lettuce, Bean Sprouts, Celery, Red Bell Pepper, Yellow Bell Pepper, Peas, Corn and the cooled Mushroom mixture
- DRESSING / TOPPING: Combine the Soup Powder, Cottage Cheese and Salad Dressing – spoon over the Mushrooms, followed by the Cheddar and ending with sprinkling over the Chives
Amount Per Serving Calories 157Total Fat 2.6gSaturated Fat 1.4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0.5gCholesterol 3.6mgSodium 357.8mgCarbohydrates 17.9gFiber 3.1gSugar 5.1gProtein 8.7g
Nutrition value is not always accurate