This Slow-Cooker Spiced Sweet Potatoes dish with a hint of orange, will have you wanting more! Perfect side dish for Thanksgiving, Christmas or a Sunday dinner.
By using a Slow-Cooker you can make these Spiced Sweet Potatoes perfectly. Cook on LOW heat when time allows or HIGH heat and this no-fuss, side dish will be ready in two hours.
If you are already serving a salty side dish or two, and need to add something sweet to your dinner, this Slow-Cooker Sweet Potatoes will be an ideal sweet side dish.
Being South African we usually try to have a sweet vegetable side dish with our home cooked meals.
Normally when there is a roast in the oven, we have one or two salty vegetable sides and one sweet vegetable served with the meal.
Whenever I serve these sweet potatoes to my family, it is the first to disappear from their plates. It is just so delicious!
The Muscovado sugar adds the extra sweetness to this dish which works perfectly with the spices.
Cinnamon and Nutmeg are usually used with sweet potatoes, however, the hint of orange is what makes this dish stand out.
The combination of the Muscovado Sugar, Cinnamon and Nutmeg give the sweet potatoes a caramelized color.
Should you want to add some crunch to the dish, you can chop some toasted pecan nuts and sprinkle them onto the sweet potatoes just before serving.
Ingredients for Slow-Cooker Spiced Sweet Potatoes:
(scroll down for the full printable recipe card)
900 grams Sweet Potatoes, peeled and diced ( 2 pounds)
½ cup Muscovado Sugar
1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
½ teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
½ teaspoon Orange Zest, grated finely
Juice of 1 Orange
¼ teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup Toasted Pecans, chopped (Optional)
More side dish recipes you might like:
- Orange Juice Glazed Carrots
- Cheesy Buttermilk Potato Casserole
- Bacon Peas (Side Dish)
- Mixed Vegetable Mornay
- Stir Fried Pasta Side Dish
Slow-Cooker Spiced Sweet Potatoes
- 900 grams Sweet Potatoes, peeled and diced ( 2 pounds)
- ½ cup Muscovado Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon Orange Zest, grated finely
- Juice of 1 Orange
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ¼ cup Toasted Pecans, chopped (Optional)
- Place all the ingredients (except the Pecan nuts) in the Slow-Cooker - stir to combine
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours or until the Sweet Potatoes are tender (see note below)
- Sprinkle with Pecan nuts (if using) and serve warm
- You can also cook the Sweet Potatoes on HIGH for 2 hours
Amount Per Serving Calories 266Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 0mgSodium 167mgCarbohydrates 57gFiber 6gSugar 33gProtein 4g
Nutrition value is not always accurate. Please also check your ingredient labels.