Creamy, cheesy, family favorite Pastitsio Cannelloni also know as Greek Lasagna, is comfort food at it’s best
We have always ordered cannelloni from restaurants. I had the idea that there is a lot of work involved with filling the pasta tubes, especially making Pastitsio Cannelloni (which is sometimes called Greek Lasagna) but it is so easy!
I fill the cannelloni tubes in the oven dish, using a teaspoon and it takes only minutes to fill all of them. A drop of the meat mixture here and there, but everything gets covered in the sooo creamy, delicious cheese sauce, it does not matter.
Fill the tube, and simply drop it next to the previous filled pasta tube.
And I will never order from a restaurant again. Since I made this and found it is so easy and much tastier, I will continue to make it myself.
Homemade is after all always better, fresher and you know exactly what is in your food.
Hubby fell in love with this dish the very fist time I made it ! He was still eating, when he wanted to know when I’ll make it again. He is not a fussy eater, but to get him so overjoyed with a meal, is a huge accomplishment.
This Pastitsio Cannelloni is now a regular dinner on our monthly menu and what I love about this particular pasta, is that I always have the ingredients on hand.
It is also the perfect all season pasta – add vegetables on the side during chilly weather. Or add a salad or two during Summer. We prefer salads, whether it is Winter or Summer as we are huge salad lovers.
If for any reason you do not have, or use Swiss Cheese, use White Cheddar instead, the dish is still delicious.
Also have a peek at our Cheesy Beef Cannelloni recipe !
- 3 TB Olive Oil
- 1 large Onion finely chopped
- 450 g Lean Ground Beef ( 1 pound )
- 1 t Ground Cinnamon
- 1 t Paprika
- 1 can (410g) Chopped Tomatoes
- 3/4 cup Dry White Wine
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Parsley chopped
- 2 Extra-Large Eggs beaten
- 6 TB Butter
- 6 TB Flour
- 3 cups Milk
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- 3 cups Swiss Cheese divided, ( Emmentaler Cheese )
- 1 t Lemon Juice
- 15 tubes Cannelloni Pasta
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 deg C (350 deg F) – spray a large oven dish with cooking oil
- Saute the Onion in the Olive Oil until soft – add the Ground Beef – stir fry until the meat is brown – add the Cinnamon, Paprika, Tomatoes and Dry White Wine – simmer uncovered for 15 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated. Season with Salt and Black Pepper. Put aside to cool
- As soon as the meat mixture has cooled, add the Parsley and the Eggs – stir well to combine
Do this step either on a stove plate or the microwave oven - Melt the Butter, add the Flour and mix until a paste has formed – add the Milk slowly and keep scraping and mixing the sides and bottom – simmer until you have a thick sauce – remove from heat and add 2 cups of the Swiss Cheese as well as the Lemon Juice. Season with Salt and Pepper. Put aside to cool
- Pour just enough of the White sauce into the oven dish, to cover the bottom – Start filling the Cannelloni tubes, using a spoon – place the filled tubes next to each other on top of the layer of White sauce in the oven dish
- Pour the remaining White sauce over the Cannelloni, and top with the remaining Swiss Cheese – bake 35 – 40 minutes or until lightly browned and the pasta tubes are cooked
Serve with sides of your choice and enjoy!