Sweet and Sour Pork Meatballs are quick and easy to make, for dinner or as an appetizer with the sauce as a dip.
It does not matter that we are halfway into Spring, we eat Meatballs all year round. Recently we have had quite a lot of rain, which (whether it is cold out or not) always puts me in the mood for comfort food.
These Sweet and Sour Pork Meatballs do not really count as Comfort Food, except that it is very saucy, which is always ideal in cold weather.
I serve these Pork Meatballs over mashed potatoes, pasta or rice, depending on my mood that specific day. Sides vary from a crunchy salad or two, to one or two vegetables on the side.
This is a saucy dish, rice especially, goes very well with these Meatballs. But we prefer pasta, tagliatelle or something similar is great.
The recipe is more of a cheat’s recipe (can’t we all do with more of them ?!). I use the meat from Pork Sausages, mix it up with a few other ingredients, roll into balls and you have meatballs !
I also love to serve the Meatballs as an appetizer. Instead of dumping the baked Meatballs into the Sweet and Sour sauce, I use a medium appetizer size stick, thread through the pineapple pieces, followed by a Meatball.
And the sauce is great as a dip ! This is definitely a delicious alternative to the usual ground Beef and Chicken meatballs.
Served as an appetizer, I would say the recipe, which yields 30 meatballs (slightly smaller than 2 inches – about 3.5 cm), would be enough for 10 people, that is – 3 meatballs per person.
For dinner, this recipe is enough for four adults or two adults and four small kids.
Sweet And Sour Pork Meatballs
Sweet and Sour Pork Meatballs are quick and easy to make, for dinner or as an appetizer with the sauce as a dip
- 750 g Pork Sausages meat removed from the casings ( 1 1/2 Pounds )
- 1/2 cup Fresh White Breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup Instant Oatmeal
- 1 Extra-Large Egg lightly beaten
- 1/2 t Ground Cumin
- 2 t Dried Parsley
- 1 can (410g) Pineapple Pieces
- 2 TB Cornflour ( Cornstarch )
- 2 TB Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 TB Soy Sauce
- 1 TB Tomato Sauce ( Thick Ketch up )
- 1 TB Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Water
- 2 small Spring Onions chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 180 deg C (350 deg F) – spray a baking sheet with cooking oil
- Combine the Pork Sausage meat, Breadcrumbs, Oatmeal, Egg, Cumin and the Dried Parsley
- Form 30 small meatballs and arrange in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet – bake 30 minutes or until cooked
- Drain the Pineapple pieces and pour the liquid into a large sauce pan – add the Cornflour and stir to mix – add the Apple Cider Vinegar, Soy Sauce, Tomato Sauce, Brown Sugar and Water – mix well and add the Pineapple pieces – simmer over low heat, stirring continuously, until the sauce has thickened
- Once the Meatballs are done – remove from the oven and place in the sauce mixture – stir gently and simmer for 2 – 3 minutes
Serve over pasta, mashed potatoes or rice with a side salad or two.