Orange Juice Chicken is crispy Chicken cubes in a thick sweet and sour sauce and will have your family raving for more of this easy, delicious chicken !
Orange Juice Chicken is more or less the same as sweet and sour chicken. Or some version of the popular dish anyway. I have been making this dish for years now.
And I kept adding more and more Orange Juice each time, so by now this is commonly known as Orange Juice Chicken in our house.
I absolutely love the flavor combination of Chicken and Orange ! And I know there are loads of recipes out there which are basically the same.
But I think, for us anyway, I have perfected the dish, not only with the quantity of Orange Juice but also the final mixing of the cooked Chicken and the Sauce.
The batter coated Chicken needs to be deep-fried until the outside is crisp, then kept aside until the Sauce is done. If you can get the Sauce done at the same time as the last batch of Chicken, that would be perfect.
The Sauce can of course be cooked ahead of time and warmed up just before you want to add the Chicken.
All that’s needed then, is to quickly and gently add the cooked Chicken to the Sauce, heat only a little, stirring slightly to cover the Chicken in the Sauce. And finally to serve as soon as you can in order to keep the crispness of the Chicken bits.
Orange Juice Chicken
- 1/2 cup Cornflour (Cornstarch)
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 1 t Baking Powder
- 1/4 t Salt
- 1/2 cup Ice-Cold Water
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Extra Cornflour to dust
- 4 Chicken Fillets cubed into bite-sized pieces
- Oil for deep-frying
- 2 TB Olive Oil refined (or similar for high heat frying)
- 1 Red Onion cut into wedges
- 2 TB Fresh Ginger finely grated
- 1 cup Pineapple pieces
- 1 cup Red, Green and Yellow Bell Peppers cubed
- 3 TB Tomato Sauce (thick Ketch-Up)
- 3 TB Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Water
- 2 cups Orange Juice freshly squeezed
- Combine the Cornflour, Flour, Baking Powder and Salt in a mixing bowl – slowly add the Ice-Cold Water and stir until smooth – set aside
- Season the Chicken with Salt and Pepper, dust with Cornflour
Heat the Oil for deep-frying
Dip each Chicken cube in the batter and deep-fry batches 2 – 3 minutes or until cooked through and crisp on the outside – drain on paper towel
- Meanwhile, heat the Olive Oil in a large wok or pan – stir-fry the Onion, Ginger, Pineapple and Bell Peppers until just tender
- Add the Tomato Sauce, Vinegar, Water and Orange Juice to the stir-fried mixture – simmer a few minutes until the sauce thickens – add the cooked Chicken and gently stir to combine – heat through if necessary
Serve over Basmati or Jasmine Rice.
You might also like: