Thick, rich and so delicious simple Minestrone soup on a cold day – best comfort food, especially served with crusty bread
This Minestrone soup recipe is thick, rich and so delicious on a cold day. Soup is and will always be the number one comfort food, and I can never have enough recipes !
And tomato based soups are my family’s absolute favorite.
I usually make the soup from whatever vegetables I have leftover in the refrigerator.
The possibilities are really endless when it comes to ingredients. In most soups, really, but especially in a Minestrone !
However, I do have to single out this specific recipe as it caused quite the rave in our household the first time.
Everyone had seconds and even third helpings. Good thing I normally make double batches when it comes to soups and chowders.
I would have used two or three fresh Tomatoes if I had any, but did not. Fortunately I always have a couple of tins of Tomatoes, different flavors, chopped, whole etc.
You can use whichever you choose, canned or fresh because a Minestrone just won’t be the same without Tomatoes, right ?
For a delicious quick bread recipe link, scroll a little down after the recipe !
More Soup recipes you might like:
- Creamy Shrimp Tortellini Soup
- Mexican Bean and Tomato Soup
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- Potato Bacon and Leek Soup
- Mozzarella Stuffed Meatball Soup
- 2 Onions, chopped
- 4 t Fresh Garlic, crushed
- 1 TB Vegetable Oil
- 1 t Dried Chili Flakes
- 1 can (410g) Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 Potatoes, peeled and cubed small
- 3 Celery Ribs, chopped
- 3 Carrots, peeled, chopped or grated
- 1 TB Sugar
- 1/4 cup Tomato Paste
- 2 TB White Onion Soup Powder
- 8 cups Water
- 200 g Spaghetti, broken in smaller pieces ( 6 oz )
- 1/4 cup Parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup Cilantro Leaves, chopped
- 2 cups Sausages, sliced thinly, (your choice of type used)
- Heat Oil in a large saucepan, with a lid – saute the Onion and garlic until soft
- Add the Chili Flakes, Tomatoes, Potatoes, Celery, Carrots, Sugar and Tomato Paste – stir through
- Dissolve the Soup Powder in the Water and add to the saucepan – bring to the boil
- Add the broken Spaghetti, Parsley and Cilantro – lower heat, cover and simmer 40 – 45 minutes or until the Vegetables are soft
- Just before serving : Fry the Sausage slices in a little Oil for a few minutes – place on paper towels to drain excess oil
Top the Minestrone with the cooked Sausage slices and serve
Amount Per Serving Calories 307 Total Fat 18g Saturated Fat 6g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 10g Cholesterol 36mg Sodium 622mg Carbohydrates 25g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 3g Sugar 7g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 11g
Serve the Minestrone with crusty dinner rolls or freshly baked bread.
Looking for a bread recipe to serve with the MINESTRONE ?