Bacon and Spinach Quiche is a crustless, quick, easy quiche which is ideal for lunch and even filling enough to serve as a light dinner.
I have never made a quiche .. until I thought up this Bacon and Spinach Quiche !
And I also do not know whether this can really be classified as one. The only quiche I have ever had was the favorite “Lorraine”, at restaurants or from Woolies!
My version also do not have a crust, but I believe that is acceptable.
On the odd occasion when I actually go to the shops myself, I tend to buy stuff that’s either on special or I’ll buy something on the list.
But for some reason, you know that “.. just in case..” reason, take double of what I really need.
I looked in the fridge this morning and saw all these extras which, on it’s own, will definitely need more stuff from the store, to turn it into a decent meal.
So after taking stock I had chosen the following : 1 pack Bacon, 1 pack Cheese Grillers, Cheddar (lots) and frozen Spinach.
Just there and then I decided I’ll use what I have, nothing extra from the store for today’s dish.
This afternoon, I’m in the kitchen, busy at the stove, when my hubby asked over my shoulder “..what are you making ..” (more in that sing-song voice that’s translated into “When will the food be ready?”).
I told him I haven’t a clue, I think it will be a Quiche, but I’m not sure. He’s a cool dude, so he said it’s okay, he is starving, so it WILL be eaten.
More light dinner / lunch recipes you might like:
Bacon And Spinach Quiche
Bacon and Spinach Quiche is a crustless, quick, easy quiche which is ideal for lunch and even filling enough to serve as a light dinner
- 1 TB Vegetable Oil
- 1 large Onion chopped
- 375 g Frozen Spinach ( 12 oz )
- 250 g Back Bacon cooked and roughly chopped ( 8 oz )
- 375 g Cheese Grillers sliced ( 12 oz )
- 1 1/2 cups Cheddar Cheese grated
- 8 extra-large Eggs beaten
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 180 deg C (350 deg F) – Spray a 20 x 30cm (8 x 12 inch) oven dish with cooking oil
- Saute the Onion in the Oil until soft – add the Frozen Spinach – stir fry for 5 – 8 minutes until the Spinach is wilted and all the liquid has evaporated – let stand to cool a few minutes
- Add the Bacon, Grillers and Cheddar cheese to the Spinach – stir to combine
Lastly, add the beaten Eggs, season to taste, stir well and transfer to the prepared oven dish – bake for 35 – 40 minutes until puffy
- Remove from oven and let stand at least 10 minutes before serving
Serve with a salad or two and garlic rolls.