Homemade Orange Curd is sweeter than Lemon Curd and so much better and fresher than any store-bought curd ! A must have recipe for your Spring treats.
If you have ever made Lemon Curd at home, you will know it tastes so much better than any brand in the supermarkets.
Homemade Orange Curd is the same.
Much, much tastier (and fresher!) than anything you will find in the stores. I have actually been looking for Orange Curd in our supermarkets. But could only find the Lemon version, which of course is very popular – no Orange though !
This Orange Curd can be used to spread on toast, over hot breakfast muffins or buns. Or as a filling in citrus cakes and a bunch of other treats as well.
You can also eat a spoonful, or more if you so wish … just saying ! The Orange is much sweeter than the very sour taste of the Lemon and kids will love this sweeter version.
Want it a little more tart ? – add the Grated Peel of the Oranges to the mixture in step 1.
Homemade Orange Curd
- 200 g Unsalted Butter ( 7 oz )
- 2 cups Caster Sugar
- 2 cups Orange Juice freshly squeezed
- 4 Egg Yolks lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup Cornflour (Cornstarch)
- 2 TB Water (approximately)
- Place the Butter, Caster Sugar and Orange Juice in a medium saucepan – heat over medium heat, beating continuously with a wire whisk, until the Butter has melted and the Sugar has dissolved – not to boiling point yet
- Lower the heat to slow – add the Egg Yolks in a thin stream to the Orange Juice mixture – do not stop beating – simmer and beat the mixture until it thicken slightly and become like a syrup
- Mix the Cornflour with just enough Water to make it a fluid – add to the saucepan and beat until the Curd has thickened to the same consistency as a thick custard
- Remove from the heat and let cool completely – stir well – bottle and keep chilled for up to 7 days
You can use the Orange Curd as soon as it has cooled completely.
You Might Also Like: