Making a holiday sangria this year ? This Holiday Spiced Sangria has delicious Christmas flavors, cinnamon, anise and cloves ! Fresh or frozen berries works well with this recipe.
MSG for 21+ only
Not all my family members or friends are red wine lovers. Mostly it is either white or red.
But when I make this holiday Sangria recipe, it is a huge hit among all !
The spices are everyday pantry items and you can choose which brand of red wine to use. I love all kinds of wines !
Therefore, the type of red wine really is whatever you prefer, however, in this specific recipe I always use a Dry Red Wine in my Sangria.
A quick glance at the ingredients for the Holiday Sangria
(scroll down to the recipe card for the full recipe with instructions)
- Dry Red Wine
- Pomegranate Juice
- Oranges, juice only
- Caster Sugar, (Superfine Sugar)
- Cinnamon Sticks
- Whole Cloves
- Star Anise
- Sparkling Water, to serve
- Blueberries, to serve
- Strawberries, to serve
- Pomegranate Arils, to serve
If you find that the Blueberries and Strawberries is not in season in your country, frozen berries works perfectly !
You can simply add the frozen Berries as per the recipe in the card, and a bonus will be that the Sangria will be kept colder for longer without watering it down.
Only a little bit of sparkling soda water is needed to make the drink bubbly enough to be ideal for special occasions.
Even though this holiday spiced Sangria is served cold, the spices make up for the lack of warm Sangrias in the Winter Christmas countries.
We are fortunate (except we do not have a white Christmas!) in South-Africa to have a Summer Christmas. A glass of the Sangria is pefect to serve to arriving guests.
I always thought, no idea why, that Sangria originated in Greece. However, Sangria actually originated in Spain and Portugal.
Did notice however that earlier versions of Sangria was in fact very popular in Greece, as well as England !
More Christmas recipes you might like:
- White Chocolate Mousse Cake
- Mint And Pomegranate Apple Sipper
- Pomegranate Almond Rice (Christmas Rice)
- Single Serve Hot Chocolate Mix
- Christmas Cocktail
Connect with us :
Holiday Spiced Sangria
- 2 cups Dry Red Wine
- 2 cups Pomegranate Juice
- 2 Oranges, juice only
- 1/2 cup Caster Sugar, (Superfine Sugar)
- 3 Cinnamon Sticks
- 4 Whole Cloves
- 3 Star Anise
- 1 cup Sparkling Water, to serve
- 1/2 cup Blueberries, to serve (see notes)
- 1/2 cup Strawberries, to serve (see notes)
- 1/4 cup Pomegranate Arils, to serve
- Heat all the ingredients (except the Sparkling Water, Berries and Pomegranates) in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- DO NOT BOIL but simmer about 10 minutes or until the Caster Sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat, let cool and chill at least 4 hours in the refrigerator.
- Strain and discard the bits. Pour the chilled wine-mixture into a serving jug - add the Sparkling Water, Berries and Pomegranate Arils.
- Serve immediately.
Frozen Berries are fine to use in this recipe !
Serving Size200ml / 6.5 fl oz
Amount Per Serving Calories 120Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 18mgCarbohydrates 23gFiber 1gSugar 20gProtein 1g
Nutrition value is not always accurate