Greek Salad with Marinated Onions – The ever popular Greek Salad gets a small makeover and it is scrumptious ! Definitely a salad recipe you need to add to your collection, especially when you have a BBQ !
Greek Salad is very popular with my family – especially the Feta cheese ! To change things up a little, I made this Greek Salad with Marinated Onions .
Absolutely delicious ! And you would not believe the huge difference the marinated Onions make to this salad. The typical Greek Salad I usually make, contains a lot of lettuce, which I love, but my family not so much.
They were very surprised by this new version and immediately fell in love with the Greek Salad with Marinated Onions. It was a winner the first time and the second time, and I plan on making it again this weekend.
The use of different Tomatoes may not seem like a big thing, but it does have a lovely impact, not only visually but also in taste, on this Salad.
If you want to serve the Salad for lunch, only a wholewheat dinner roll is necessary, as this Greek Salad with Marinated Onions are quite filling.
Having a BBQ ? Only one other Salad is needed to complete your BBQ. In South-Africa we enjoy our braai (BBQ) all year long, and it usually consists of Boerewors (a SA sausage), Lamb Chops, Steak and more often than not, Chicken and/or other kebabs as well.
Then, to add to that, we have all the sides, salads, pap and relish (pap is a porridge made with maize meal), dinner rolls – the whole works.
This is not only for special days, it is our way of living in South-Africa – maybe not all that healthy all the time, but once a week is fine by me, and there are loads of ways to make all the dishes, or most anyway, healthy.
Let me know in the comments what a typical braai/BBQ/cookout is for you ? And also, how do you prepare your favorite Greek Salad ? I am always open to trying out new recipes !
Greek Salad With Marinated Onions
- 1/4 cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/3 cup Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 3-4 sprigs Oregano leaves stripped and chopped
- 2 Red Onions thinly sliced
- 2 cups Red and Yellow Baby Tomatoes halved
- 3 Tomatoes cut into wedges
- 2 t Coarse Sea Salt
- 2 TB Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 English Cucumber cut into chunks
- 1 Green Bell Pepper sliced
- 1/2 cup Black Kalamata Olives pitted
- 1 cup Feta Cheese cubed or crumbled
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- Combine the Red Wine Vinegar, Olive Oil and the chopped Oregano
- Place the Onions in a marinating bowl – pour over the Vinegar mixture and marinate 2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes
- Remove the Onions from the marinade – retain the marinade for step 6
- Sprinkle the Coarse Sea Salt and the Brown Sugar over the Tomatoes
Toss together the Onions, Tomatoes (wedges and Baby Tomatoes), Cucumber, Green Bell Pepper and the Olives – transfer to a serving plate – scatter over the Feta Cheese and season to taste with Salt and Black Pepper
- Drizzle the retained marinade over the Salad just before serving
You Might Also Like: