Chocolate Carrot Cake Cupcakes are a long time family favorite and ideal to use up leftover carrots ~ the perfect Easter or Spring sweet treat !
This recipe has been a family favorite for years and I make these Chocolate Carrot Cake Cupcakes whenever I have two or three fresh Carrots leftover, which would usually go to waste.
Depending on my mood, I make cupcakes or a layer cake. This recipe is great either way. Baking a layer cake (2 layers) takes a bit longer to bake, about 30 – 35 minutes.
I also like to alternate between Chocolate Frosting and a Cream Cheese Frosting. It really is up to your preference which you want to use.
My son does not like Nuts in food, sweet or savory, therefore I normally leave adding the Nuts for last.
I scoop out enough batter for a few Chocolate Carrot Cake Cupcakes for him, then add the nuts to the remaining batter and finish the recipe as below.
If you also do not like Nuts, simply leave them out.
The ingredients might be quite a bit, but most are the usual pantry ingredients. And I have split the recipe into three parts, making it easier to see which goes with what and when.
Once you have all the ingredients set out on your counter top, or working space, it only takes a few
minutes to mix everything. Then scoop into the muffin pans (lined or not) and pop into the oven.
Decorations are aplenty in the stores now, and it makes such a huge visual difference, I could not resist these little carrots, made from icing, which I had on hand.
Chocolate Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups Flour
- 1/2 cup Cocoa Powder
- 3/4 cup Caster Sugar
- 1/2 cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1 t Baking Powder
- 1 t Baking Soda (Bicarbonate of Soda)
- 1 t Salt
- 1 t Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 t Allspice
- 1 1/2 cups Carrots peeled and finely grated
- 1/2 cup Chocolate Chips
- 1 cup Walnuts chopped
- 2 Eggs
- 3/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1/3 cup Milk
- 1 t Vanilla Essence
- Chocolate Frosting your favorite (I use Pillsbury’s Fudgy Chocolate)
- Candy Decorations optional
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 deg C (350 deg F) – line muffin pans with 18 paper cupcake liners or spray with cooking oil
Sift together the Flour, Cocoa, Sugars, Baking Powder, Bicarbonate of Soda, Salt, Cinnamon and Allspice in a large mixing bowl
- Stir in the Carrots, Chocolate Chips and Walnuts
- In a separate bowl, beat together the Eggs, Oil, Milk and Vanilla – add to the Flour/Carrot mixture and stir until just combined – divide the batter between the 18 prepared liners/muffin holes
- Bake 20 – 22 minutes or until the tops are springy when you touch them – remove from the oven, let stand 2 minutes and transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely
- Pipe or spread with the Frosting and decorate as you wish
Moist and so chocolatey !
You Might Also Like: