Beef Chow Mein with Sour Sauce is a 30 Minute ( 6 Servings ! ) homemade recipe – no need to order take outs !
Forget calling the restaurant for take-outs ! This Beef Chow Mein with Sour Sauce is so quick and easy to make. And most delicious as well !
I can not seem to find any motivation regarding dinner ideas this week. I blame it all on this heat we are having at the moment. Even though I do not even feel like eating, we have to you know !
If I had my way, we would eat cold meats and salads all Spring and Summer, but somehow, I do not think the rest of the family would feel that way!
It is at times like these, when my brain cells are too fried to think, that I look up Ms Annette Human’s recipes. Told you I am a cookbook freak and she is one of my favorite authors.
This recipe comes from the cookbook SPYSKAARTE VIR ELKE SEISOEN. I have made it before, but without the sour sauce, this time I made the sauce and boy, oh boy, did that make a difference!!
We will now have the sour sauce with this Beef Chow Mein every time.
The sauce only takes a few minutes to make, and whilst it is cooling, you can make the rest of the recipe, which is super quick. Great for a busy week night dinner, right ?
You can always make the Beef Chow Mein without the sauce if you so prefer, but I highly recommend serving the sauce along with the dish.
To save time, prep and marinate the Beef in the morning or during the day. It will only take a couple of minutes.
You Might Also Like:
- 1 cup Water
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 t Salt
- 2 TB Cornflour ( Cornstarch )
- 1/2 cup White Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 3 TB Soy Sauce
- 1 TB Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 TB Soft Brown Sugar
- 1/4 t Ground Ginger
- 750 g Beef cut into thin strips ( 1 1/2 pounds )
- Oil to fry
- 3 Onions sliced into rings
- 3 Carrots peeled and cut into julienne strips
- 3 cups Cabbage thinly sliced
- 1 can Green Beans ( 410 g - 13 oz )
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- 500 g Spaghettini cooked according to the instructions on the bag ( 16 oz )
- Whisk together the Water, Egg, Sugar and Salt – pour into a small saucepan over low heat
- Mix the Corn Flour and the Vinegar – add to the Water/Egg mixture – bring to the boil, stirring continuously until thick – remove from heat and add the Mayonnaise, stir to combine, leave to cool
- Combine the Soy Sauce, Worcestershire Sauce, Brown Sugar and Ginger – place the Beef strips into a marinating container and pour the Soy Sauce mixture over – marinate at least 1 hour
- Heat a little Oil in a wok or large skillet – stir-fry the meat in batches until done – remove from skillet and keep aside – add the Onions to the skillet and saute until soft – remove from and add to the beef which is kept aside
- Add more Oil if necessary and stir-fry the Carrots 2 -3 minutes – add the Cabbage, stir-fry until soft
Drain and rinse the Green Beans - add to the Carrots and Cabbage, together with the Beef and Onions – heat through
- Season to taste with Salt and Black Pepper
- Save time by marinating the Beef in the morning or during the day
- Serve on a bed of Spaghettini with the Sour Sauce on the side
Serve on a bed of Spaghettini with the Sour Sauce on the side.