Scrumptious and so easy to make Parmesan Meatball Pie ! This Pie is a winner every time, no matter the season – serve with salads or vegetable sides
It is no secret that our family loves meatballs. Whether they are stuck on a stick with a dip, over pasta with a sauce or in a pie as in this Parmesan Meatball Pie , we enjoy them all the time.
I like making my own meatballs from scratch. But when I am pressed for time, I simply use my favorite sausage meat and form it into meatballs. Nothing easier, as sausages are already spiced and full of flavor.
The meatballs I use in this Parmesan Meatball Pie did however get a shot of added Sweet Chili Sauce, just for that extra bite.
Use whichever sausage meat you prefer, I usually use traditional Boerewors which I know is very hard, if not totally impossible, to find in most countries outside of South-Africa.
This recipe would work with chicken, beef, pork and most other sausages which are easy to remove from the casings and also easy to form into meatballs.
Not a fan of sausages ? Make your own, favorite kind of meatball and use those instead !
The batter is not spicy or even have a strong flavor. Therefore you have plenty of room to play around with flavoring the meatballs which you intend on using for this Parmesan Meatball Pie.
More Meatball recipes you might like:
Parmesan Meatball Pie
- 450 grams Sausages, meat removed from the casings ( 1 pound )
- 2 TB Sweet Chili Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups Flour
- 2 t Baking Powder
- 1 t Salt
- 4 Eggs, extra-large
- 3 TB Unsalted Butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups Milk
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 deg C (350 deg F) – spray a 20 x 30cm ( 8 x 12 inch ) oven dish with cooking oil
- Combine the meat and the Chili Sauce and form into golf ball size balls – place in the prepared oven dish a little apart
- Sift together the Flour, Baking Powder and Salt in a medium mixing bowl
- In a separate mixing bowl – beat together the Eggs, Butter, and Milk – add to the dry ingredients and mix well (beat until smooth) – pour over the meatballs and bake 35 – 40 minutes
- Sprinkle the Parmesan Cheese over, 10 minutes before the end of the baking time
Amount Per Serving Calories 857Total Fat 55gSaturated Fat 22gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 26gCholesterol 344mgSodium 2132mgCarbohydrates 49gFiber 1gSugar 6gProtein 40g
Nutrition value is not always accurate
Serve with salads or vegetable sides.