This Apple Lemon Meringue Pie is a delicious alternative to the ever popular Lemon Meringue. Fall flavors with still a hint of Summer !
Apple Meringue Pie is a delicious alternative to the usual Lemon Meringue which I normally make. The taste is very similar but with the added apple there is also a crunch to this pie.
Most apple pies are almost always a hit as a dessert. This pie is sweet with just a tiny break in the sweetness when you bite into the apple. And a little tartness from the Lemon.
If you prefer a tarter pie, add a teaspoon of finely grated lemon zest to the filling !
I like a fairly thick crust especially when it is made of Tennis biscuits. South-African readers – have you seen there will be Tennis Biscuit Crumbs out soon? I have not found it at my local supermarkets yet, but it might be available at the bigger Hyper Markets. What a convenience that’s going to be!
More Dessert recipes you might like:
- Apple Crumble Bars
- Blueberry Lemon Meringue
- White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake (No-Bake)
- Decadent Chocolate Cake
- Tiramisu Cheesecake (No-Bake)
Apple Lemon Meringue Pie
- 200 grams Cookie Crumbs, finely crumbled (Graham Crackers or Tennis biscuits) - 7 oz
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter, melted
- 1 can (397 grams) Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1/2 cup Lemon Juice, freshly squeezed
- 3 extra-large Eggs, separated
- 1 can (385 grams) Pie Apples, well drained and chopped smaller
- 1/4 cup Caster Sugar, (Superfine Sugar)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 deg C (350 deg F) – spray a pie dish with cooking spray
- Combine the Tennis Biscuit crumbs and the melted Butter – press into the pie dish and set aside
- Place the Condensed Milk into a medium mixing bowl – add the Lemon Juice gradually, whilst beating continuously – add the Egg Yolks and mix – add the Pie Apples – stir through
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pie crust – bake 15 minutes – remove from oven
- Beat the Egg Whites until stiff, adding the Caster Sugar gradually – spoon over the Apple mixture and bake another 15 minutes until the Meringue is golden brown
- Remove from the oven - leave to cool completely and place in the refrigerator for at least 3 – 4 hours before serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 305Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 102mgSodium 115mgCarbohydrates 29gFiber 1gSugar 20gProtein 4g
Nutrition value is not always accurate