These Apple Crumble Bars are most certainly a Fall dessert favorite in our family.
Drizzled with some Caramel Sauce, optional of course, and every bite turns into a delicious taste sensation, which would only want you to grab another one …or two.
I do not often make fruity desserts, especially if it’s something meant to be served warm, as my daughter is totally not fond of warm fruit. Not in a sweet or savory dish.
However, she did love these Apple bars instantly, as we all did. I seriously could not stop myself eating and must have had at least three pieces after dinner.
Bad on my side, but I can promise you, if you like Apple Pie or any Apple dessert, you will love these quick and easy Apple Crumble bars.
These Crumble bars are very sturdy, if you know what I mean, you can hold one in your hand without breaking the bar.
Which I think makes a delicious addition to your kids (or your own!) lunch box. My son actually takes a piece or two to work every time I make them.
The dough is very soft, but you need not worry about having the bottom layer 100% even as the crust sorts itself out whilst baking.
I did not bother too much with the topping and just kind of sprinkled small broken off pieces of dough over the layer of Apples.
More Apple Recipes you might like:
Apple Crumble Bars
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter softened
- 1/3+1/2 cups Sugar divided
- 1 TB Sour Cream
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 t Salt
- 2 1/4 cups Flour
- 3 Apples cored, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 t Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Walnuts chopped
- 2 TB Sugar
- 1/2 t Ground Cinnamon
- Caramel Sauce ( optional )
Pre-heat the oven to 180 deg C (350 deg F) – line a 20 x 30cm ( 8 x 12 inch ) oven dish with baking paper – let the edges hang over for easy removal
- Beat together Butter and 1/3 cup Sugar until creamy – add the Sour Cream, Egg and Salt – beat another minute
Stir in the Flour to the Butter mixture and spread half of the batter over the bottom of the prepared oven dish ( it is a soft dough )
- In a medium bowl, mix together the Apple slices, remaining 1/2 cup Sugar and Cinnamon – toss well – scoop evenly over the dough in the oven dish
Using a teaspoon, drop bits of the remaining dough over the Apples ( no need to be perfect )
- Combine the Nuts, Sugar and Cinnamon – sprinkle over the unbaked dessert – bake 40 – 45 minutes or until golden
- Remove from the oven, let cool completely in the oven dish – remove and slice into bars
Drizzle with Caramel Sauce (optional ) and serve
- Granny Smith Apples are best to use in this recipe
- The Walnuts can be replaced with Pecan Nuts
Serve with Caramel Sauce (optional) or whipped cream.