These Apple Cinnamon Muffins have a buttery, soft, light crunch topping which makes them extra special and perfect to add to your breakfast/brunch menu
I have this thing with muffins for a late breakfast or early lunch, not quite brunch, because a brunch involves a bit more food. These Apple Cinnamon Muffins are my favorite to whip up soon as a craving strikes me mid-morning.
The topping is my favorite part, very buttery with a bit of crunch from the nuts. I had to make the muffins a few times before I was totally happy with the topping.
First the topping was too dry, then way too buttery and finally I decided to add just a little Flour into the mix as well, now that did the trick !
I think Apple and Cinnamon are two of the best combinations in a sweet treat and would even have some sliced Apple in my oatmeal (which I do have for breakfast now and then) sprinkled with Cinnamon Sugar and an added blob of butter.
The actual muffin part of these Apple Cinnamon Muffins are feather light, soft and bursting with the two flavors, whilst the topping adds a soft, melt-in-the-mouth, buttery piece of delight, to which the Walnuts add a tasteful crunch too.
Apple Cinnamon Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups Flour
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 2 t Baking Powder
- 1 t Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 t Salt
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 Red Apple cored, peeled and chopped finely
- 1/4 cup Unsalted Butter melted
- 1/4 cup Butter softened
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 1/4 t Ground Cinnamon
- 1/3 cup Walnuts chopped
- 1/4 cup Dark Brown Sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 190 deg C (375 deg F) – spray a 12 hole muffin pan with cooking oil
- Mix together the Flour, Sugar, Baking Powder, Cinnamon and Salt in a medium mixing bowl
- Beat together the Egg and Milk in a medium mixing bowl – add the Apple and Butter – stir well
- Add the Apple mixture to the Flour mixture and stir to combine – mixture will be a little stiff – scoop into the prepared muffin pan, filling the holes 3/4
- Mix all the topping ingredients together, you will have a soft dough – break of small pieces and arrange over the muffin batter – bake 15 – 20 minutes or until a tester comes out clean
Serve warm. (best with butter!)
You Might Also Like: