Oven baked or Airfryer – Tender and juicy Pecorino Crusted Chicken with an amazing (easy!) 5 minute Garlic Sour Cream Sauce
A couple of weeks ago I mentioned that I wanted to buy an AirFryer. Well, since then I had my birthday and guess what ? Yep, I got my Airfryer ! And one of the first meats I baked / fried in the machine was this Pecorino Chicken and Garlic Sour Cream Sauce which I normally bake in the oven.
I would still bake the Pecorino Chicken in the oven (as per my recipe below) when I am cooking for more than 3 -4 people. I was very surprised when the Chicken turned out so tender and juicy using the Airfryer. Besides a bit of burn on the one side of the Chicken all else were just perfect.
That was also my first lesson in using an AirFryer – do not leave the Chicken too long before turning, especially when one of the sides of the meat touches the wall of the AirFryer basket.
I covered the Chicken fillets in a mixture of Pecorino cheese and Italian-Style breadcrumbs which is always a wonderful, tasty combination after I dipped the fillets in Buttermilk.
The Garlic Sour Cream Sauce works so well with the Pecorino crusted Chicken and you can decide on the thickness of the sauce to your preference. Add the Cornflour bit by bit until you are happy.
Pour the sauce over vegetables as well, if you so wish – think cauliflower, broccoli or even green beans.
A bit more of what I already tried (in the 2 – 3 weeks since I have the AirFryer) – French fries, both thinly cut as well as the thicker cut turned out much better than any restaurant’s fries ! Crispy on the outside and soft inside – all without the additional oil added.
Baked potatoes are another winner in the AirFryer. The skin is so crispy it sounds like paper when you cut through the baked / fried (not sure which term is right in this instance!) potato and the inside is soft and fully cooked.
Enough of the AirFryer and back to the Pecorino Chicken and Garlic Sour Cream Sauce.
Seeing as it is Spring in South-Africa, I served the Chicken with a side salad and a dinner roll which were more than enough for us, especially since we had my Creamy Dill Mushrooms as an appetizer before the main meal.
During the cooler seasons I serve two side vegetables with the Pecorino Chicken and over rice or with mashed potatoes, which makes it a delicious comforting meal.
I start the sauce just before serving as it takes only a couple of minutes to make.
NOTE: Oven baking instructions are below in the recipe, but if you are using your AirFryer, follow the instructions as per your machine’s booklet as the times and temperatures vary from brand to brand. I set my machine to pre-heat 5 minutes and baked / fried the Chicken at 180 deg C ( 350 deg F ) for 30 minutes, turning over once.
- 4 Chicken Fillets
- 1/2 cup Pecorino Romano Cheese ,finely grated
- 3/4 cup Italian-Style Breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup Buttermilk
- 1 TB Butter
- 2 t Garlic ,Fresh, crushed
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 1 t Cornflour ,optional (Cornstarch)
- 1 TB Milk ,optional, if using Cornflour
- 1 TB Parsley ,Fresh, chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 180 deg C (350 deg F) - Spray a roasting pan with cooking oil (See Note in post for AirFryer)
- Combine the Pecorino Romano and the Breadcrumbs - place on a plate and set aside
- Pour the Buttermilk on a plate and cover/roll each Chicken Fillet, shaking off any excess
- Gently roll the Buttermilk dipped Chicken in the Cheese/Breadcrumb mixture and arrange in a single layer on the prepared roasting pan
- Bake 30 - 40 minutes or until done
- Saute the Garlic in the Butter in a small saucepan for 1 - 2 minutes
- Add the Milk and Sour Cream - simmer 2 minutes (do not boil)
- Optional to thicken sauce; Mix the Cornflour with the tablespoon Milk - add to the Sauce and stir until thickened - remove from heat and stir in the Parsley
Serve the Garlic Sour Cream Sauce over the baked Pecorino Chicken