This Mexican Chicken recipe has a delightful twist ! Saucy, economic and so delicious. Your family would want more of this casserole !
A Chicken dish with lots of sauce and it is delicious ? Oh yes, this Mexican Chicken recipe is a must try !
Not all Chicken recipes are spicy. However, to add spiciness to a Chicken dish is just about always the right move, especially for chili lovers.
I make the Mexican Chicken with and without adding chilies, depending on what we are in the mood for on a certain day.
Something else I have only realized a few years ago, is that chocolate is a big yes, yes to add to savory Mexican dishes.
Not only does chocolate add a beautiful color, but richness to the sauce as well. No, you will not have a chocolate sauce, not the type of dessert sauce anyway !
Every now and then I also see actual Mexican chocolate on the internet. Unfortunately we do not have any in South-Africa (might have at speciality stores though).
But from the ingredients I noticed in the Mexican chocolate, I think I will stick to a normal Dark Chocolate – the type which is a little bitter, for this specific recipe.
Combining chocolate and chilies are also not a new thing ! I have had chocolate bars (dark) with added chilies and loves them.
AND we know that chocolate and orange play well together ! Do try this recipe, with or without chilies and your family would not believe they just had a savory dish with chocolate as an ingredient.
Sticky, tender chicken in a rich sauce – deliciousness in under an hour !
Popular Chicken recipes you might like:
- Drunken Chicken Stir-Fry
Connect with us :
- 2 TB Olive Oil, extra-virgin
- 2 Onions, chopped
- 3 t Crushed Garlic, fresh
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 4 Chicken Drumsticks
- 4 Chicken Thighs
- 3 Oranges, juice and grated peel
- 2 t Dried Chili Flakes
- 1 TB Coriander Seeds
- 1 can ( 410 grams ) Chopped Tomatoes ( 14 oz can )
- 3/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 100 grams Dark Chocolate, chopped roughly ( 3.5 oz )
- 1 Handful Cilantro, chopped, for serving
- 1 Lime, cut into wedges, for serving
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 deg C ( 350 deg F )
- Heat the Oil in a large oven proof pot (with a lid) - fry the Onions until just soft
- Add the Garlic and fry another minute - remove the Onions and Garlic and keep aside
- Season the Chicken with Salt and Pepper and brown in the same pot
- Return the Onions/Garlic to the pot and add the Orange juice, peel, Chili Flakes, Coriander Seeds, Tomatoes and Sugar
- Simmer for 5 minutes, cover and bake in the pre-heated oven for 25 minutes or until the Chicken is done
- Remove the Chicken from the pot and keep aside
- Reduce the sauce on the stovetop and stir in the Chocolate - simmer and stir until the Chocolate has melted
- Return the Chicken to the pot and serve OR serve the sauce over the Chicken - sprinkled with Cilantro and Lime wedges on the side
- Want spicy ? Add freshly chopped chilies (to taste) to step 5 and continue recipe instructions
Amount Per Serving Calories 600Total Fat 28gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 18gCholesterol 189mgSodium 302mgCarbohydrates 53gFiber 5gSugar 43gProtein 38g
Nutrition value is not always accurate